GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old July 10th 2008, 18:26

I REALLY like the wheel idea, I'm probably going to go something similar myself.

I like the idea of having all the guages in one spot too.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 11th 2008, 01:56

Nice Work

Hi, one of my problems is, I don't know of any state or local city that allow no bumpers. Any time they want to give you a ticket they can. I'd like very much to go no bumpers. I live in California, the Pomona area, and they do ticket
Old July 11th 2008, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
I REALLY like the wheel idea, I'm probably going to go something similar myself.

I like the idea of having all the guages in one spot too.

Jason
Seems more convenient to have it all in one spot. I think the wheels black with the rid lip look sweet.
Old July 11th 2008, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hi, one of my problems is, I don't know of any state or local city that allow no bumpers. Any time they want to give you a ticket they can. I'd like very much to go no bumpers. I live in California, the Pomona area, and they do ticket
Good point! I'll have to check the Texas law, but I know of plenty people here that have gone bumper less without problems from the law.
Old July 11th 2008, 10:35

I searched the Texas DMV and found nothing as well as google. I think I'm good on that one! Shaved bumpers it is!
Old July 12th 2008, 18:53

Im digging the red lipped black rim setup!! also your project as a whole!!! keep up the good work!!
Old July 15th 2008, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat73VW View Post
Im digging the red lipped black rim setup!! also your project as a whole!!! keep up the good work!!
Thanks! I think it makes the car look sportier.
Old July 15th 2008, 13:35

Got my parts today...

Rocker arms, head gaskets, head bolts, intake bolts, intake gaskets, valve covers gaskets, timing cover, timing gasket, aluminum water pump pulley, water neck / gaskets, thermostat, distributor, base clamp and gasket for dist, ACCEL wires (red), valve cover breather, air breather, oil pan, dip stick, bolts for pan and timing cover, headman shorty headers, B&M 2,500 stall, TCI tranny rebuild kit and push rod length checker. I think that's all...might have left some out but basically everything I need to put the motor together minus push rods. I'll get those once I check their length (exh / int).

Within the next month or two I should have the motor together and in the car. That is, after I paint and rebuild the chassis.
Old July 27th 2008, 00:00

It was a hundred today and man was it hot! Still managed to get some work done. Ordered some push rods and some Dupli-color paint. 500º flat black for the valve covers and oil pan. 500º Glossy black for the block. 1200º color aluminum ceramic paint for the headers.

Painted the used valve covers I bought.

Painted the bare oil pan I ordered.

Friday at work I spent an hour on each header sand blasting the paint off. Today I painted them. Did 3 coats with one can and there's still about 1/4 a can. I put down some paint too. Now I got to figure what oven I'm going to use to bake the paint. ??? Does the paint release harmful vapors? Maybe I'll do it here at home.

OK, so I've been talking about this freebie 283 from my old man for almost a year now without pics. Well, here's some finally. Today me and my bro went and picked the motor and stand up, got her in the garage and cleaned the engine up as much as we can. Still got some more cleaning to do before I paint it and start putting it together. The internals look good and clean. There's a little carbon build up but not a whole lot. I did find out there's no lifters in the block so I've got to get some

Here's some pics of the pop up pistons. . Also I found the number on the bottom of the pistons. 334-99. I searched the net and found someone who has the same pistons and his are for a 283 bored over .060. Would that be the same for mine? If so I've got me a 292 on my hands!

Well, that's all I've got for now. More to come. Anyone with suggestions about cleaning this thing up without taking it apart is much appreciated. And advice on sealing it up good (using silicon or sealer, what brands, etc) will be much appreciated being this my first time doing this.
Old August 4th 2008, 11:12

I got the block 98% broke down this weekend. After I hone the cylinders and clean the deck it'll be off to the machine shop to get hot tanked, new freeze plugs and cam bearings installed. I plan to install the main and rod bearings my self so I'll have the crank check out too.

I also found out that the current cam that was in the block is a Comp Cams 270H which is too much of lift for my stock vortec heads. Either a new cam or valve springs are in order.
Old August 5th 2008, 11:35

I know that you might not be getting many replies on this thread of yours, but please dont be discouraged to continue posting. I for one am loving it. You see, just about anything mechanic interests me!
Old August 6th 2008, 09:41

Yep, what Axe said. Fun to follow along and watch your progress. Don't think we aren't watchin' ...
VKG Bastage child
Old August 6th 2008, 12:43

I'm checkin' it out regularily!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old August 11th 2008, 09:40

Cool! I knew you guys were lurking. I've been keeping you guys up to date so far. It's been about 100º out lately which has been making it hard for me to get out and continue body work. At the moment I've just been concentrating on getting the motor together since it doesn't involve as much physical work.

Only real update not posted is I've decide to trade the 283 for a 350 V8. The reason I made this decision is cause it's cheaper to build a 350, pistons for a 283 bored over .060 are rare these days which make pistons and rings expensive and hard to get a hold of (1 month back order), and the 350 will make for more power and torque.

I found a thread for a vortec 400 hp 350 std bore build, dyno proven, which I intend to duplicate cause I already have a majority of the parts. Basically it's a stock 350 block / bottom end (pistons, crank, connecting rods), vortec heads, an isky .450/.450 lift w/ a 278/278 duration cam, edelbrock perform rpm intake, 750 cfm carb, and 1 5/8' headers to 3" dual exhaust.

I'll post pics when I make the swap.
Old August 11th 2008, 19:04

this is also one of the threads i check on regularly