GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 28th 2014, 04:55
Administrator

Thanks! Normally I keep my lists on the whiteboard, but with two project cars exploded across my shop the window lists seem easier. Best part of the day is that moment spent crossing things off the list before shutting the shop lights out

An odd angular growth has appeared off my transmission tunnel.

And after a little bit of time its like grand central station down here. Not sure how I managed to make it all fit, but it does!!

This one is kinda funny, I can remember being 17 years old and wanting to buy ATE Blue so badly but not being able to afford it. Then, in later years, I realized that regular-old-Pentosin was just 20degrees off for a whole lot less money. I was buying other parts last week when I saw the blue on the shelf...hell, I'm 34 now I can afford this! Yes, that's right, I bought brake fluid for the colour. But hey, it made flushing the system super easy!?!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old February 28th 2014, 13:44

heh, you can't get super blue in the states anymore... because it's blue. Seriously. It's been on the market for years and got banned for being the wrong color. I still have a couple bottles in the garage waiting to go in the race bug.
Old February 28th 2014, 14:31
Administrator

Shop I bought it from was mentioning the price per bottle was going up March 1st. I wonder if that's related to the US no longer getting it. Unbelievably convenient when flushing the system, I usually do it every 6 months so there isn't a big colour change between used and fresh fluid. Apparently I've been wasting a LOT of brake fluid over the years. Flushes out much faster then I realized.

-Dave
Old March 2nd 2014, 04:07
Administrator

Cell phone pictures for tonight, but they'll do.

First up, the 'factory' (empi?) bolt for holding my shift rod to the transmission has gone for a walk somewhere in my garage. Not overly worried about it, since it didn't seem to fit the Hagertt Performance universal joint. After cutting the end into a cone shape on the lathe, I realized I wanted to make sure I safety wired the bolt this time. I had the shifter come loose and lost all gears last summer while on a road trip. Let me tell you how quickly your heart sinks when you think you've blown a transmission in the middle of nowhere! Since I don't own a safety-wire drilling jig (and apparently none of my friends do either), I had to improvise:

With the shifter setup now 100% complete, I moved onto to the oil lines. I’m replacing the three oil lines that pass through the exhaust system, as I believe the rubber lines may have deteriorated due to heat. I’m also taking the opportunity to put the Vibrant Performance Dry-Break fittings in the lines. These allow me to disconnect each oil line without losing a drop of oil, or introducing any air into the lines. I’ve put the Vibrant fitting (black) inside two straight hose ends so I could figure out how long each section of oil line would need to be.

Before finalizing the assembly, the lower section of the hose was wrapped with Thermalflex Isultherm wrap. The lower section of hose will pass either very close, or through, the exhaust system. I’m not sure which, as I’m getting an all new system from Vintage Speed. The Isultherm wrap is a resin-impregnated ceramic wrap which is good to 1200deg F (650 C). If that isn’t sufficient, I can always do an over-wrap for additional protection.

Thanks to Rob over at www.avrparts.com I have a perfect-condition fan shroud sandblasted, and ready for modification. The new 2110cc motor will not be running heater boxes, so I’m going to modify a new shroud which will still have the Salzburg “look”, but without functioning heater ducts. We’ll just pretend this factory doghouse shroud was in rough shape, and thats why I’m cutting it up…

Darren at Kroc heads sent me a teaser photo this afternoon. Looks like my parts are back from the balancing shop and he had some time to start the assembly! Where’s the stoked icon???

Just seven items left on the To-Do list before the car is ready for the Hagerty Spring Thaw Classic. Okay, one of those items is "build the engine", so it's not like they'll all happen quickly. But still, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Can’t believe I’ve survived this long without the car. I miss driving it!

-Dave
Old March 11th 2014, 04:25
Administrator

This has been a pretty big week/weekend. Last week I finished up everything on the to-do list, which was essentially a bunch of little annoying items that are time consuming. The only thing left, besides the motor and related bits, is to paint the floorpan again, on the underside. We had a week of straight rain, so I put it off for some warmer weather. Cheaper to heat the garage then!

You might notice the "Porsche" name on one of those bags, which simply means these items are priced about 3x more than they should be. Regardless, after almost three years of a rough throwout bearing, I figured I'd best replace it. Also bought new plastic mounts, a nylon cup for the clutch arm and the retainer clamp. Pretty interesting to see what those parts are supposed to look like!

Got the shroud finished up with fake Salzburg outlets. I had more time on this one, so instead of rushing it I worked on at least making the straight and not warped by heat. No shims required for the generator mounting, which is lightyears better than the last one! I did, however, forget to fill a couple of holes I won't be using. Ah well...

I'll be running a new Vintage Speed exhaust system, having beat the last one into submission. Just before I went to pick it up at AVR, though, I remembered it wouldn't clear the oil-pump. A few facebook notes to Lucas (Art's son) and he TIG'd in the required modification. I think I messaged Lucas on Thursday, and Rob brought me the exhaust system completed on Saturday! Couldn't believe my luck, because Darren messaged me that he was going to break in my cam/motor on Sunday morning. So Sunday I was at Kroc's shop to hang out, basically be in the way and watch Darren break in my new motor and do a quick setup on my new carbs. After it was all cleared, and cooled down, we loaded it up in my truck and home I went. It's about now that I should probably post some engine specs, but the honest truth is I haven't been paying much attention! Throughout the whole planning and parts acquiring period of the build Darren would call me up and ask something like "So, what cam did you want to run in this engine?" I'd answer with something like, 'well, I haven't thought that much about it...what would you suggest?' Darren would give me his idea, and I'd follow up with "sounds perfect, lets run with that then." The whole idea is kinda funny, seeing as I've so carefully planned everything else out on the car. I'll update the specs on my 2110 at a later date!

I actually couldn't have cut this better myself! I went slightly wider with my dimensions this time, and slightly deeper. Now I should be able to remove the oil lines with the muffler on (should I ever need to), and the deeper inset should help with the heat soak.

The muffler then got some exhaust wrap, and the steel shield which keeps the wrap from tearing off due to rocks.

Being a glutton for punishment, I wrapped the J-tubes as well. And then whipped up some stone shields for those too. The wrap doesn't go all the way to the ends in the photos, as I like to be able to access the exhaust nuts without tearing up the wrap. On the muffler end I actually wrap the rest of the pipe and the flanges once the system is all bolted up.

CB Black Box is mounted and wired in. Tomorrow I'll pickup the vacuum line fittings I've ordered, and will run the line through the firewall next to the Black Box. I've run out of space to run wires through the factory routing, so a couple of new grommets were added to the car tonight.

I'll have to finish the engine-side of things once the engine is in the car, which will make doing the wrap or heat-shrink a little bit challenging!

Ready to go in, hopefully I'll find time to take care of that tomorrow.

-Dave
Old March 12th 2014, 21:37

I hope to be able to come back to my projects once they are done and tested once to bring them up to the level of detail you're putting in this thing! Really nice to watch.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 19th 2014, 02:44
Administrator

Haha, thats pretty funny considering I'm in awe of your Bugster project.

------

Okay, so first we have this:

and then we have HOLY CRAP! This engine is sweet! I was definitely wasting my time with small motors, torque for the win. Not much else to report, took it for some runs to break in the rings. Did some tuning runs to confirm I'm good on the Airs and Mains, just need to try one step smaller on the idles to see how things are. Currently I'm still running on the 009, getting the jetting dialed in before I fire up the Black Box to start creating my own ignition map. Super stoked, been out driving too much to think about anything else :-)

-Dave
Old March 19th 2014, 11:44

Careful, getting power is a slippery slope, one that I know nothing about

The bug is looking awesome, something about authentic rally scars add to the character, and they go to show this car means business. We need video, inside or out, I'm half tempted to send you my old gopro if we can get some video out of it
Old March 19th 2014, 18:47
Administrator

Haha...GoPro's are not the problem.

Took it down to Van today and back, no problems drove like a dream. Just before parking it I stopped for gas, on the restart the throttle pedal bound up on something...but popped clear. Thought nothing of it, as if I forgot to ziptie my harness "just right", it binds on the back of the carb. Got home, not the problem. The 1/2 carb is binding without any linkage. Well crap. Guess I'm pulling that off. Here's hoping it's simple.

-Dave
Old March 20th 2014, 05:05

Loving the golf balls. Are they filters or just covers?

How is the Audi coming along? Any build thread on that?
Old March 21st 2014, 13:22
Administrator

Those are Canadian Road-Hockey balls, just keeping crap out of the intakes while I wait for some filters to arrive.

The Audi thread is over on Motorgeek: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47160 It does need a bit of updating, the motor is now in, but I pushed the car away and started working on the bug. Back at it yesterday, stripped the moldy interior out of the parts car (yuck!) and will be working on it all weekend.

-Dave
Old March 27th 2014, 05:33

Nice little read Dave.

An epic story it seems, just like the Bug
Old April 11th 2014, 12:44

Just got the new Hot VW's and there's a familiar looking car in there Congrats on the spread!
Old April 11th 2014, 22:01

Yes! I seen that in my new issue as well!! Congrats!!!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old April 14th 2014, 02:33
Administrator

Thanks Guys! That was a surprise I didn't even know about

-Dave