GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old June 6th 2003, 08:38

Oil Temp Sender

I bought a used Oil Temp Gauge, without the sender.
As it turns out, the sender needs to be placed in the drain plug.

Anybody ever done this ? I'm affraid I'll rip the thing off when I hit a bump or something. Maybe weld some kind of
'skid plate' over the drain plug ??

Any ideas are welcome, it's an Autometer guage, looks pretty cool though

Rob.
Old June 6th 2003, 09:31

Why not put a T fitting at the pressure sender location? You may need some adapters to increase to the larger diameter of the drain plug fitting if you have to use a sender made for that.

Ron
Old June 6th 2003, 09:34

Hey Ron,

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, but wouldn't air get caught in the end of the "T" where the temp sender would be ?
Or shouldn't this matter ?

Thanks !

Rob.
Old June 6th 2003, 09:43

Rob,
In the original 914 2,0 ltr engines, the temperature sender was placed yust near the drain plug, in a 'bulge' of the sump cover plate, not being the plate that houses the oil screen/mesh 'filter'. You know, that cover that seems to have no other function :-). It has a (green?) rubber sealing ring in its edge.
Anyway, if you can get hold of such an (original) cover plate, the sender might just fit right in! The sender is than positioned at an angle, like the original...
Hope this is any help.
Walter
Old June 6th 2003, 09:52

VDO make a dipstick sender.. replaces the stock stick and has wires coming off it... i use one with a VDO gauge because its the most accurate type of sender, being in the main body of oil.. a friend uses one with an autometer gauge because he was in the same situation as you (no sender) and hes tested it in boiling water and its accurate with autometer too.
next best alternative is drilling the oil relief plug for an autometer sender as thats in a decent oilflow. the sump plug type i dont rate as the oil is often static at the bottom.. you need it to be in the oilflow or else you'll get false, low readings.
Old June 6th 2003, 10:42

Bren, you just made my day !

I checked on the dipstick sender but Autometer said it wouldn't work...yeah right.

Cool, I'm going to order it right away.

Thanks,

Rob.
Old June 8th 2003, 21:55

Hi There. I've been out of town. The air in the T fitting seems to bleed itself somehow, but you could always help it along by cracking the threads at the sender until you strike oil.

Ron
Old June 9th 2003, 17:26

Quote:
Originally posted by bren
VDO make a dipstick sender.. replaces the stock stick and has wires coming off it...
Isn't that only made for type 1?
If so, then it will probably not fit a type 4 (converted) engine !?

Walter
Old June 9th 2003, 18:00

not 100% sure.. check www.aircooled.net, or email john direct john@aircooled.net

Rob.
Old June 10th 2003, 12:25

they do make one for type4's.. its part number is VDO9904

heres a UK stockist if that helps at all...

http://195.82.115.180/FMPro?-db=wpro...2707191&-find=
Old June 16th 2003, 04:05

I have an Auto meter temp guage for my T4, the Pro Comp Ultralite model. I used a brass T fitting with an extension on that (the sender was too long to fit the T without getting in the way of the oil pressure sender) out of the original oil sending unit's port, at the side of the case, below the dizzy. Oh yeah, I used the Oregon Performance DTM conversion kit, so the oil hoses need to be in mind when installing the oil switches. Everything works fine for all my guages except 2 things (which don't concern oil guages):

1. My head temp guage only goes to 300deg, so it maxes out every time the engine is warm. I need the 600deg unit, but can I use the sender that came with the 300deg unit, since the 600deg sender is a seperate (rather expensive) cost?

And 2. My Ultra lite Speedo is about 10mph off (too slow) and I need to figure a way to make it accurate. It's a mech-drive speedo, and all autometer's sh1t is tuned for American cars with the speedo drive running off the trans. What should I do?

Sorry to deviate from your topic, but it's sorta related. Sorta....

Hope my first info helped, either way.

DAVID MANN
Old July 24th 2003, 16:26

Some more thoughts about fitting a oil temperature sender unit into a Type-1 engine. There is about five options that I`ve heard of;
1.The oil drain plug. Not good. Too risky for lowered cars running bumpy roads.
2.Oil dipstick with the sender unit in it. Maybe the best way to do it, but costs more than a simple sender. (And I already bought a threaded sender.)
3.A T-junction sharing the connection for the pressure sender. Some say it could capture air and not work correctly?
4.Aircooled.net sells a sender that is suppoused to replace the oil relief valve`s plug. Is there enough of oil flow to get a temerature reading?
5.Lastly, I heard somebody found a "free" threaded connection from the side of the oil sump and used this. But when I look under my engine (case type AS41), I cant see any place that the guy was talking about???

Justin
Old July 24th 2003, 16:44

On one of my old type one engines I ran drain plug sender, I was also running a Scat 1.5 qt low profile sump and a severely lowered rear suspension. Eventally I dragged it off, all it did was break off the ceramic part and the brass "plug" was still there so no catastrophic oil loss.
I just ordered the pressure relief plug style from ac.net and I'll let you'all know whut I think of it. It's been in the triple didgit's for most of the last month and I don't want to push my "14" too hard in this heat so I gots to step up and do something.
Also another option on a type IV is to drill and tap the "useless" oil drain plate and buy a drain plug style sender and thread it in there instead of hunting down a bulging one. I read about that either on pelicanparts.com or aircooled.net.

SNN
Old July 25th 2003, 06:22

this guy had a neat idea for a location for his regular sender.. makes perfect sense to me, although involves drilling and tapping, so no good for a built up motor.

http://bugman.50megs.com/FilterTech.html
Old September 5th 2003, 00:05

Supa Ninja;
Have you fitted your new sender yet? I`m anxious to hear how it works out.
Justin