GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old August 7th 2012, 18:35

Too bad it's not real, but I like where your heads at! Now let's get to the cutting
Old August 7th 2012, 19:36

Its going to be mid-month at the earliest before I get the body. My wife and I are expecting our second little guy yesterday, so he should be here this week at the latest. Although she's a car girl too, I think I'll be pushing it if I take off for a day to get the body, it's about a 7 hour trip each way! I'll be doing more cutting and thinking on the Boxster though.

In doing so this weekend I realized the front top left corner of the car has had some structural tweaks due to the accident it was in. Fortunately it looks like the lower suspension pickup points are all in tact, but I'll find out with the use of a laser this coming weekend what is right and what is tweaked.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old August 15th 2012, 14:57

il keep my eye on this one - looks like its going to be a fantastic build!!!
Old August 26th 2012, 16:13

a little link for some inspiration ... a almost finished full buildup of the same concept except the use of a 1303 bodyshell.... all things written in swedish though so mostly for the pictures .

http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25745
Old August 27th 2012, 01:59

Awesome!!! The more info I can find the better. They took a lot of pics too. They are going a little overboard on strength(weight) where the Bugster seems a little flimsy to me. I think I'm going to settle on a happy medium. Great link, thanks so much!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 27th 2012, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
They are going a little overboard on strength(weight) ..
Thats very much my feeling usually when I see very large build projects with alternate engines being used: usually the builders err on the safe side and over-engineer the whole thing and it weighs a ton. Which is understandable as most privateers can't (re)design a complete car for structural integraty(sp?), as we don't have those computer programs or equipment of course.
However, all of the added weight kills the intended superior performance of the project.

So Jason, pls look at every extra piece of steel reinforcement you intend to make very carefully (as if you didn't already). Think like a Lotus engineer
Old August 28th 2012, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Awesome!!! The more info I can find the better. They took a lot of pics too. They are going a little overboard on strength(weight) where the Bugster seems a little flimsy to me. I think I'm going to settle on a happy medium. Great link, thanks so much!

Jason
The strengthening parts aren´t really that heavy but makes the car MUCH more rigid,

I know the builder in person and got som pictures from him from his TwinTurbo extractor manifolds / rotary mufflers :-) that are going into the bug..... power to weight ratio will be much much much better than boxsters or 911s for that matter....

fully adjustable suspension and alot of other upgrades are also going into the car.....
Old August 28th 2012, 21:54

Wally, my thoughts exactly. One thing neither of them did was create a pie section and re-use the sills. Looking at the Porsche Boxster steel material diagram, both cut out the seat mounts which looks to be a sort of integral stiftening piece, and where I think Bugster should have included some sort of roll cage, the Swedes are turning this thing into a tank. It's easy to talk about what to do, I'll have to find my own way, I think possibly replacing each sill area with a 2" or 2.5" CroMo tube that is anchored on good plates may work out just fine.

Riseabove, I really like what they are doing, it's just that they are adding a LOT of extra weight in the amount and diameter of tubing they are using, but I don't know what sort of final use they have for this, if it will see a lot of time racing on a circuit, it may need the amount of re-informent they are adding. But for example, the addition of the old style engine cover added a lot of weight that probably didn't need to be added, as well they reduce the storage of the interior.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 29th 2012, 04:52

His car will be a track day car first and foremost. We also have quite strict rules and regulations about these kind of modifications here in sweden . i also think he is going a bit overboard with the reinforcements ... but he is is a "do it once do it RIGHT!" kinda guy .....

I hope to see the progress on your oval bugster and se a real lightweight beeing built
Old September 1st 2012, 02:02

Almost done, only took me 10 minutes

More motivation!

JASON
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 1st 2012, 06:02

Some tie-wraps and ducttape, and call it done! ;-)
Old September 3rd 2012, 17:01

I removed the whole right quarter(half) of the car in one piece, seemed a shame to destroy a perfectly good panel, even if it was a bitch to drill the spot welds. Now that the chassis is free and clear to be worked on I'm actually going to have to make a detour to the body shop to have the frame straightened. Seems the driver side front impact was heavier than I or the seller had realized, so there may be an issue with the strut mount and lower control arm mount that I'd like to get squared away before I remove too much strength out of the chassis. Should be done in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 3rd 2012, 18:37

Hi

Love this build. How is the wheel base compared between the two cars?

Steve
Old September 3rd 2012, 23:16

The Boxster is less than 3/4" longer than the bug, I'll center the rear and let the front get a slightly tucked look, I like that look on hot rods.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 4th 2012, 21:04

I'm more interested in the 10" difference in width. Are you planning on running it that wide, or are you going to narrow it? Hopefully you're going to run it wide

How much wider was the UBRDUB over stock, I know I read it somewhere in you're thread, but I can't seem to find it.