GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old March 12th 2008, 22:09
eprahjames

New to bugs looking for some opinions.

I'm currently in the market for a project "hot rod" vehicle. I've seen some built bugs at the track and after digging around on another forum i was referred to this forum as you guys are into building high performance bugs.

First off, what style of bug should i start with. It seems like a superbeetle will be the cheapest, but is it the best starting point??

My goal for this vehicle is a weekend fun car. Something i can take out to the drag strip one weekend and autox the next.
Old March 13th 2008, 20:18

If you want something that works well either way a Super is probably the way to go. There are I think 3 different kinds of Supers, so you need to figure out which one will work best for your needs. Some have the bulbous front end but flat front windows, some have curved windows. They have different bolt patterns on the struts, and one is more advantageous to add Porsche brakes to than another as far as I remember. The best place to find out about Super stuff is SuperBeetles Only You should be able to find out everything you need for a super there. Topline parts has a lot of super suspension tuning stuff. With some new struts, alignment, stout engine, and decent tires you could probably have a lot of fun at either venue. A cheap Honda might be a better option as far as cost is concerned in the long run, but if you've got the bug in you, a super is probably the best chassis to start with as far as performance.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 13th 2008, 21:47
eprahjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
If you want something that works well either way a Super is probably the way to go. There are I think 3 different kinds of Supers, so you need to figure out which one will work best for your needs. Some have the bulbous front end but flat front windows, some have curved windows. They have different bolt patterns on the struts, and one is more advantageous to add Porsche brakes to than another as far as I remember. The best place to find out about Super stuff is SuperBeetles Only You should be able to find out everything you need for a super there. Topline parts has a lot of super suspension tuning stuff. With some new struts, alignment, stout engine, and decent tires you could probably have a lot of fun at either venue. A cheap Honda might be a better option as far as cost is concerned in the long run, but if you've got the bug in you, a super is probably the best chassis to start with as far as performance.

Jason
Thanks i'll check them out.

A honda is a nogo. I hate fwd. Very boring to drive. Even with a good amount of hp.
Old March 15th 2008, 02:33

I am very Much for a +1 for the super! I have a 73/74 hybred, and I love it....and its still stock!