GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 29th 2004, 10:14
Administrator

FYI,

There is a couple of megasquirt boards on EBay right now ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33553

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33553

Unfortunately, I still have to get my fenders painted so can't bid right now.

Sandeep
Old January 29th 2004, 18:59

Where's the rest of it ?? SDS 4 LIFE !!!
Old January 29th 2004, 20:18

it uses a GM map sosnor and o2 sensor, you can use whatever you want for injectors, and I think any other parts are GM as well.

pick s up rpm same as a tach

yes sds might be better, but you'll pay 5x as much for it.
Old January 30th 2004, 08:06

The shinny one looks nice, but I don’t have $300 invested in the parts I bought, which were the controller, simulator, relay board and the viewer. They are not hard to assemble, I’ve got the simulator, relay and the viewer together in about 4 hrs (minus the parts I can’t find locally) and this is the first time wielding a soldering iron. My current problem is deciding on an intake design plenum or just a T pipe.
Old January 30th 2004, 10:27
Administrator

That sounds great. I hope to be ordering my kit in the next few weeks. I think the toughest part is going to be routing 2 new fuel lines from the tank to the engine. I'm planning on running it with the carbs and do the work (Installing sensors ect) during the summer.

After that, hopefully I can take one weekend to swap over to the TB's and plug in the harness and tune.

Sandeep
Old February 2nd 2004, 10:40

There are several working MS systems on 914's, go ask over on the 914club.com

The one thing with a turbo is that MS is FI only, no programmable ignition w/retard.
You can get Mega-jolt, which uses ford ignition components, but I don't know if that ties into the MS system or is stand-alone. If it does tie into the MS you need a 2 bar MAP to activate the ignition retard. Yes you could modify a stock dizzy to retard under boost. I think Mega-jolt is about the same price as the mega-squirt.

The fuel line ? depends on what you plan to do with the bug. Just street or AX? For just street all you need is a T at the tank, for AX you should have a surge ring or tank, FI hates sucking air in the twisties.

On the injectors there is a bit more to it than running whatever you want. If you run low impedance injectors without resistors you will burn stuff out. To big or to small will also cause headaches.

All of the MS systems that I know of, so far, did not run correctly without at least a couple of hours of dyno time. The SDS doesn't really need a dyno to tune, at least mine didn't. I'm saying this to make sure you compare apples to apples. Count the MS and Mega-jolt, a laptop, build time, wire harness, connectors plus a couple of hours dyno time and the savings are not quite as huge a some would lead you to believe.

The 2 main reasons I went with SDS is that #1 it has it's own controller so it doesn't matter if an OS is out of date and #2 for me time is money. It took a major amount of time just to plumb/wire the system let alone if I had to build it.

But if you do have the time it is a neat project and you will have a better understanding of how FI works.
Mark
Old February 2nd 2004, 12:01

Got a question.
I want to build a turbo FI engine and am a little confused about pressure regulators. If the stated adjustability range is 35 psi to 65 psi is that only for idle or is that it. Will the pressure rise over 65 psi with boost.

Also I was thinking of buying the CB-Performance dual throttle body manifolds with the injector boss's already in them. Does anybody know what brand of injectors will fit. The website says that they are type 1, 2, 4, 5 and 9 and that they will fit most GM fuel rails. Does that mean that they are the same style used by GM. If so What GM cars would have those injectors. I want to be able to save some money by buying some good used injectors. People are always taking off there near new stock parts for race parts so I want to pick up a set off ebay.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old February 2nd 2004, 15:14
Administrator

Points well taken.

I chose the MS system because I like to tinker and it should be a great learning experience. The OS ( programmed in assembler ) is the most basic machine instructions that a chip can execute. All software, regardless of the platform they were programmed on, has to be converted to machine instructions so the chip can understand them. No chance this will be obsolete anytime soon.

I'm going to be waiting for the ignition upgrade for MS (UltraMegaSquirt ?) before I actually plumb up the turbo.

Sandeep
Old February 2nd 2004, 15:30

Bosch injectors are the best, but a lot of guys like the suby (nippon?) injectors. Your pressure reg values are too high.

For all tech/FAQ questions see:
http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html

Most of the info can be directly applied to the MS system.
Old February 2nd 2004, 21:15

My problem is more time than money which was one reason to go with megasquirt. besides I've been building this toy for a little over 3 years adding a couple months wont hurt A guy a work found this thought I'd share.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0403_mega/
Old February 3rd 2004, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the canuck
Bosch injectors are the best, but a lot of guys like the suby (nippon?) injectors. Your pressure reg values are too high.

For all tech/FAQ questions see:
http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html

Most of the info can be directly applied to the MS system.

I thout that most EFI systems ran around 45 psi of fuel pressure.

I will do some more research.
Old February 3rd 2004, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
If the stated adjustability range is 35 psi to 65 psi is that only for idle or is that it.

I thout that most EFI systems ran around 45 psi of fuel pressure.
I will do some more research.
About 40psi. with hipo engines and turbo's you need more volume not pressure, that said the stock VW unit will work on all but the most extreme flat-4's.
Old February 3rd 2004, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the canuck
About 40psi. with hipo engines and turbo's you need more volume not pressure, that said the stock VW unit will work on all but the most extreme flat-4's.

I Understand the fact that volume is more important than pressure. There is nothing stock left in my engine plans. I was thinking of using some used dual carbs as throttle bodies and then buying the cbperformance dual throttle body manifolds with the injector boss's already in them. I have a whole bunch of RX-7 FI parts in my garage that I was planing on using. I can make my own fuel rails and use the mazda fuel pressure regulator witch is set at 41 psi. Turbo engine is a long ways away but I am definatley going to build an EFI system for my car.
Old March 9th 2004, 15:08

getting everything together to supercharge and inject my engine.
I've lined up the supercharger but was hoping to find a deal on the megasquirt computer.

oh I have a set of Wber DCNF carbs that I'll have up for sale soon, with low rise manifolds $250 can. I'll also consider partial trades for stock type 4 fuel injection parts, need a manifold (complete) and injectors.

Last edited by Shadowbug; March 16th 2004 at 15:06.
Old March 10th 2004, 11:45

I have brought and built a megasquirt board, including the stimulator and relay board. I plan on using it on my type 4 motor, once I have built it and run it in on carbs...