GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 18th 2002, 19:55

Cyl Head Temp

I was wondering how hot my heads should get after normal driving? The motor is a 2056cc heads are 42mmx36mm. Dual Weber 44IDFs I have an Autometer Temp guage with the sending unit in the spot where the stock FI unit used to go. My guage maxes out at 340 but the guage would regularly pass that. So, what temp is normal for this style engine? Thanks for the help!

DAVID MANN
Old August 19th 2002, 06:50
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

You mean Fahrenheit.... 340° is much too high, you come near to the melting temprature. I use a head temprature sensor rarely, so I need help from others here!
Old August 19th 2002, 17:04

I was told by the local VW shop owner that normal cyl head temp guages for a VW ( I'm assuming he meant VDO guages, he didn't say...) ran from 100-600F. I got the Autometer guage, that runs from 100-340F. He said that the head is probably running at normal Operating Temp, but that my guage couldn't run up to that high a temperature. I would like a second opinion on that one, though
Old September 11th 2002, 10:44

Unhappy head temp

I don't know either. But, I am tuning a new motor and have the same gauge and it gets up to 340° too. I don't think it gets much higher but I am going to do what I can to get it to run cooler. Good luck, I'll post again if I work some kind of miracle.
Old September 11th 2002, 17:27

340F degrees is max you want from a sender under the sparkplug, I don't know what the sender in the stock FI location would read at that point. The stock location will not show temp fluctuation very quickly (factory planned it that way for the FI), that is why under the sparkplug is prefered for performance engines.
ken
Old October 2nd 2002, 05:23

I looked into Ultralite guages that read higher temps, and they have ones that go up to 600F. The only problem(s) is, they cost over $200 per guage, are 2 5/8in instead of 2 1/16in, and require a special sending unit that DOES go under the spark plug; that sender has a seperate cost: around $70, last I checked. I figure, since I wouldn't be able to fit the bigger guage in the dash, and my engine isn't super-tuned, I'm gonna get a voltometer, since I'm installing a pretty big stereo system in the car. After that, I'll see what I can do about the head temp guage.Thanks for all your help on this one, guys...

DAVID MANN
Old October 15th 2002, 14:05

CHT

First do all you can to get the heads as cool as possible. Clear any obstructions from around the fan's intake, try to use as much German tin as possible. Next determine if they're too hot or not. Drive the car for at least 20 minutes (or until gauge pegs). Carfully feel the intake manifolds. Mine get to where I can keep my hand on them lightly for about 5 seconds before it's too uncomfortable. Last, you want to make your gauge sit in the middle somehow. I have good luck by taking out the sending unit, add a dab or 2 of locktite, screw it back in only a few rotations. This will help give more of a surface temp reading. I just did this today and it's working so far but I messed with a few other things too while under there. Good luck!