GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 12th 2002, 13:44

First post!! and a question.......

Hi. I know this site is kinda new, and there is way more traffic in both the vwvortex forums, and shoptalkforums, but you guys designed this site like your tryin hard, so I said what the heck, i'll become a germanlook.com subscriber....

anywho

ok, this is kinda long, but hopefully someone can hel me out. I have a 70 bug, already has some mods done to it. its a standard bug, non super, but so from what I hear, the rear end I have is similar to that of a super beetle, just my steering is more primitave?????

I want to make her into a german looker, but i'm only 50 % sure on the specifics on what to do, and if half the **** i'm talking about is even possible.

Its goal is to be both a street performer, and a show car. I have many good ideas about this car, some were taken from pictures that i've seen, but most I haven;t seen on a bug yet.

The very first would be the engine.

I'm thinkin about building a 2.5-2.8 liter type 4, with a 50 or 75 shot for the track. Does this sound doable? have you type 4 guys actually seen this kind of setup before? People tell me that the type 4 is alot better for nitrous then the type 1 is, not sure why, they both look alike to me from the out side :-)

k, so there my question, I wanna see how long it will take to get a responce.....

sincerely
-Mike
Old August 12th 2002, 15:44
Administrator

Thumbs up

Hi Mike,,

Thanks for joining us. You'll be sure to find answers to your questions here in this forum.

One thing though...about site traffic.....We designed this forum to be specific to one 'look' and one type of VW..... we are not really interested in Golfs or New Beetles or Audi's (There are lots of boards out there that cater to those who are interested in these models)

If you want to learn about making your bug handle and perform (merging aircooled VW's with high tech) then you've come to the right place.

Oliver will answer any engine questions you may have, but with an engine like that...you're going to need some brakes. Check out the tech section for the 993 Turbo Brake Upgrade article for some serious stopping power.

Sandeep
Old August 12th 2002, 21:21
Superman

Re: First post!! and a question.......

Quote:
Originally posted by VRSICK

the rear end I have is similar to that of a super beetle, just my steering is more primitave?????
This is correct, the rear IRS is the same between the models. Post in the suspension forums and we'll talk
Old August 13th 2002, 11:40
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Question That's long...

My first question is, how fast do you want to go and how many horses do you want to have before using NOS? I have absolutely no experience with NOS, only used it one time in a car from a friend, as NOS systems are rare in Germany, but I think, if you want to build an engine, that is thaat big, there will be no need for nitro, as it only leans out the mixture and makes more damage to cost intensive parts, than you have fun over the short time of using it. It's just an opinion, I'm sure, that there's a way to use both. Help me with more infos, I give you some tips and pictures....
Old August 13th 2002, 12:56

I'm probably lookin at around 170 before the nos, still no idea as to what borexstroke combo will give me 170 HP, or how much it will even cost, but if anyone can throw me some numbers, or links as to where to buy type 4 long blocks, that would be a great help......

You dont think it will be necesary to use the Nitrous? well, i've only been in a 60 HP bug before, so I dont know what 170 would feel like, but i'll wait and see if its needed or not...

anyways, yea if any of you guys know where to get type 4 long blocks, that would be great
Old August 13th 2002, 18:51

Check with Raby's Aircooled Technology about one of his MassIVe Type 4s; he's on this side of the U.S.

170HP is very do-able (he gets 150 dyno-proven HP out of his 2270 T-IV's), but "... 50-70 shot for the track (?)" is just asking for torched hardware; I've seen great drivers in lower HP cars drive circles around high HP posers.

Just build/buy it right the first time, and leave the NOS for the ricers.

Old August 14th 2002, 04:50

Thumbs up ...

You can get your 170 horses with a good done 2,4l (103mm x 71mm) together and even more with a bigger combination. 48mm intakes together with a 38mm to 40mm exhaust in good ported heads, a cam at around 295-300° and a c/r of 9:1 is all you need, besides a pair of 44mm IDF's and a good flowing exhaust system. If you take a 78mm or 80mm crank into that combo, you will go up to 15-20HP more, go with 48mm carbs and over the 300° durations, you'll receive even more. You see, there's no real need for NOS and btw, a combo in 103mm x 71mm is even cheaper than any other 78mm x 96mm! If money plays no role, go even bigger with the crank, then you've got it. If reliability is a thing for you, Use a 78-84mm crank to 96mm bore combo, but then with excellent build-on goodies.

At least, we've got 2l street engines (high compression, high duration) done here, that reach the 165-170HP, too. Our Cup engine produced slightly above 180HP, with a 74mm x 92mm combo and loads of goodies. That engine runned in several races and was just overhauled one time a year. Top HP was reached at 6900rpm.
Old August 16th 2002, 10:28

ok, well in that case, i'm goin for about 200 HP, dont know why, it just seems like a good round number. If I can get that kind of performance from a NA type 4, and still have some reliability, then i'd opt to go the NA route...

BTW, where are you guys getting your long blocks from(besides raby)
Old August 16th 2002, 15:04

Raby's getting over 180hp out of his 2270 "packages" now. That is pretty impressive.

As for 200hp in a bug? You say you've only been in a 60hp bug? I think you need to try some stepping stones first.

One of my friends drove a 60hp bug. He thinks, "Hey, goes pretty well." So, he bought an 1835 with dual 44 Webers. WHOA, this thing goes REAL well. You know, smoking supercharged Pontiacs and stuff.

Decided to build a 2270. Lots of tricks and upgrades, goes through the motions, puts it together. We fire it up, and everything seems fine. He set the compression low (about 8.6:1) just to get a good feel for how it would run. What we didn't know was that the cam and lifters he was sent from the supplier were not both Webcam (the cam was, but lifters were not). After a short time running the lifters ate the cam.

BUT, what we can both tell you is that this thing was completely NOT RIGHT. 3rd gear at 20mph, plant your foot and it would move out with authority. 3rd gear turning a corner at idle, floor it and it would spin the rear tires. SERIOUS torque.

THAT'S WITH LIFTERS EATING THE CAM!!!!

So, we tore it back down, got the right cam and lifters, upgraded his ignition system, and bumped the compression to 9.5:1.

Wanna guess how it'll run now.

Trust me, 150hp+ in a bug is just wrong. Even 100hp is pretty damned fun.

Later,

G
Old August 17th 2002, 02:21

see, I've heard that before, but still, i've been in, and drove, and handled cars with that type of reaction, and I feel that I can handle that type of power. Even if I couldn't, what do I do, undertune it? half throttle it? no biggie, hey its worse having not enough HP, but having too much, you could always cut back on some...... :->

anyways, where should I start shopping for type 4 long blocks??? and short blocks actually.....
Old August 24th 2002, 06:45

You've seen my solution in the other thread, VRSICK.

Btw, where's the difference between getting more than 180HP out of a 94mm x 82mm Type 1 combo or a 96mm x 78mm Type 4 combo with more than 180HP? Physically, besides the slight exhaust restriction and a bit weight, there's no difference. Take my engine as an example, that wil reach the 200HP mark with a 84mm x 96mm combo. I don't know, where's the problem or why not getting this HP rates out of the Type 4 engines, there is NO special secret and you don't have to be a god-like master-technician. Is it uncommon for you or something mavellous?

Sorry, I don't want to start any discussions, that go into the false direction, but sometimes, I think, that some engine combo's are called god-like, besides in other countries it's somewhat common and unspectacular, I don't know why are there so many words about it.
Old September 3rd 2002, 17:28

VRSICK, There are very few places to buy a good quality performace type 4 long or short blocks in the states. Try Fat Performance, they do alot of type 4 offroad racing engines. There are several places to get stock short/long blocks but that won't get the HP you want.
I suggest building your own engine, it's not rocket science and that way you know what you've got and can't blame anyone else if it isn't what you thought it would be. Quality parts are available from several sources but I recommend John at Aircooled.net. John only sells good stuff-no junk like you find at alot of VW parts places.
Oliver is correct, it seems that American type 4 engine builders are having a hard time matching the German engine builders when it comes to HP, but we are gaining some.
If you are going for serious HP you will need serious brakes and handling. Sounds like a big project.....go for it.
ken
Old September 3rd 2002, 18:09

ive been wondering about that horsepower difference myself...I see most of the euro type 4 with more HP......thinks that make you go hmmm

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 4th 2002, 03:25

A simple fact, where I wonder, why it's like that is, that US HP ratings are measured differently, e.g. the 1,6l 50HP engine here has 55HP in the States. You measure on engine dyno's mainly, we measure at the wheel mostly. Could it be, that Euro engines would even have more power, when putting it to a US dyno?
Old September 4th 2002, 11:17

Oliver, Interesting thought, but I doubt we are THAT far behind the Germans. I think the big difference in the engines is the cams and heads.
I think the cam duration is measured a little differently between europe and the US, but I am not sure, we usually compare durations at .050" lift as opposed to advertised lift. Our cam manufacturers say there is little flow below .050" lift so duration added under that lift will have no real effect on HP. I think it would help valve train longivity though by starting and stoping the valve with an easier motion. My cam is a custom hyraulic grind using the WBX intake lobe profile on both intake and exhaust. Over .050" it is compareable to a 285/.420" lift performance cam but the ramps are gentler. Duration from the time the valve starts moving is over 300 deg.
I have heard that square exhaust port heads are more common in Germany. In the US we tend to stay away from them, some say they don't flow well but mostly due to exhaust system availablity, which isn't very good for our oval port head anyway! Some of our better engine builders are just now finding out how well a good set of CNC ported square port heads can flow.
What compression do you tend to run in Germany? Over here 9-1 is considered high by most people. Piston/combustion chamber technology is advancing though, allowing 12-1 on 93 octane pump gas, but people are slow to embrace change!
I always enjoy hearing the German side of things, knowlege is good and I am more open minded than most of the ACVW people in the states.
ken