GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 3rd 2009, 14:43

What are you guys running for oil pumps with the front mount oil coolers?
I just put a oil cooler in the front of my 1303 and upgraded to a heavy duty pump. Also how did you go about priming the system with oil?
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=125000
Thanks
Old May 3rd 2009, 14:57

I replied on your other thread...
Old May 3rd 2009, 15:01

The stock type 4 oil pump always worked fine with my 2 liter type 4 engines and a front mounted oil cooler.
I don't believe in bigger oil pumps, on the contrary, it can harm you oil cooling operation on an otherwise stock laid out engine wrt the oil system.
Old May 3rd 2009, 15:07

I know a bigger than stock oil pump will over come the spring in the stock oil cooler passage, but the oil cooler in the front of your car should cool what ever oil doesn't go through the stock cooler, and before it even gets to that cooler anyways. I have a 30mm or whatever the biggest size is in my 1776, with a stock cooler only and it cools the oil just fine, even though a good portion never gets through the cooler.

I only get a bit hot hoil when I've been doing 80 on the freeway and get stuck at a long light on the off ramp for a while. I will be adding an external cooler under the rear wing of my car (if it will fit, crossing my fingers) for this summertime, but I don't think I NEED it, its more a just in case type thing.

Of course I neither have a huge engine, or a high output engine so your mileage may vary. I made it through last summer just fine with my oil temps never going about 220, but I now commute over a very steep grade everyday, and it is cool enough in the morning, but in the summer my drive home may be rather sweltering and I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road waiting for my oil to cool off...

Like I said, my extra oil cooler is just extra insurance.
Old March 27th 2013, 01:37

Wally,
Does your front mount oil cooler have a thermostat and a fanpack? How does it do at the stop light?
Old March 27th 2013, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugged View Post
Wally,
Does your front mount oil cooler have a thermostat and a fanpack? How does it do at the stop light?
Never had a fan pack on any oil cooler. I did use a thermostat on all wet sumped (normal) engines, but now on the dry-sumped engine I haven't used any anymore (because race car )

Stop lights waiting were never a problem, not even longer periods waiting in line at an event or pit lane with a running engine. The big porsche fan keeps it cool enough then.

I have idled in several traffic jams, one for almost an hour (!) in summer heat when we traveled to one of the Bitburg events and even that wasn't a problem (I sweated though), but that was with engines that had alu cilinders, which stay so much cooler on the oil.
Old March 27th 2013, 07:21

Hi

I have a front mount in my sons 1303 with no internal cooler, never overheats in traffic. Its not huge motor just a 1904 with 40 dels.

I have driven in all sorts of conditions without any problems including traffic jams and freeways during 40c days.

I had to fit a thermostat as it ran too cool and I also fitted a fan on the cooler but I don't think its ever come on.

As far as bleeding air goes I just over fill a litre or so at the 1st start up.

Steve
Old March 30th 2013, 02:37

Well, I went ahead and ordered a Setrab 119 with fanpack... We will see if I ever need the fan.
Old March 30th 2013, 03:50

Depends where you mount the cooler. Usually coolers with fanpacks are located in 'hidden' locations, so they usually turn on pretty quickly.
Being in Arizona would help too ;-)
Old April 9th 2013, 22:47

Bah I'm trying to figure out where to mount this thing... Seems like my two options are either under the package tray near the transmission or in the front. If I'm going to mount it in the front I kind of wish I had a long narrow one, but oh well. Will I get enough cooling if I hide it?
Old April 10th 2013, 04:29
Administrator

I have put the fan pack Setrab's under the package tray and they work fine. I put a narrow setrab (no fan) on the front bumper this time and it seems to do well also. If you put it under the package tray, take care in placing it so it is out of the way of the rear suspension and drive shafts. Also place it so the fan will pul air thru it and blow it back and away from the cooler.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 11th 2013, 02:19

I understand what you mean for the fan to pull air thru it, but not sure what you mean by "blow it back and away from the cooler" Can you extrapolate?
Old April 11th 2013, 04:11
Administrator

I always try to mount the cooler so the fan is toward the back of the car. What you don't want is to recycle the air off the fan back thru the cooler. You want fresh air thru the cooler. We have used ducted air to the cooler (under the tray) too. The air moving (or not moving) under the package tray can be kind-a unpredictable. But the fan will pull/push it were it needs to go.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe