GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old December 14th 2007, 08:51

Extra louvres in 1303 dash

Hi

I would have asked this question on Superbeetles only, but its still not working, Superman must be tearing his hair out by now.

Ive noticed extra louvre positions in the 1303 dash that are not cutout, one is above the headlight switch and the other above the glove box.

Ive been wondering if these were cut out and louvres installed on cars that had factory air.

I also wanted to know if any louvre from another VW product would fit the cut out?

Steve
Old December 14th 2007, 10:56

Steve, i bet they where placed for an ac system. if u take the 1303 dash out of the car and look from its inside u will see that behind the cutout positions u mentioned, the metal frame of the dash is actually cut...

Also bear in mind that the 1303 is a redesign of the 1302 and imo not very detailed. i mean that some features where partially incorporated (as the louvre positions u mention) to comply with US requirements for import.

In the book "the Beetle - Production History of th people's car" by Etzold (ISBN 0 85429 985 8) page 172 in the bodywork section of important mods (cont. from page 171) as entry 1.8.73 from chassis no 1342000005 (1303) in says:

Ventilation: fresh and warm air outlet jets to right and left below windscreen. Formely full width ventilation

from my knowledge, there is a plastic "box" with two flaps, operated by the knobs in the centre section of the dash. the first one directs fresh air to the defroster vents under the windscreen or towards the second flap, which either blocks the centre louvres or lets them flow fresh air again.

on each side, on the door pillar, there is an air hose that comes upwards, from the heater channel, after the foot louvres and connects to a scoop that in turn connects to a metal flange(bolted on the upper section of the front bulkhead to seal between the bulkhead, its self and the dasboard to create the demister plenum. flow output is dectated by engine's rpm, heater lever position and feet louvres open or closed.

I havent found a means of the defroste outlet jets (round bits on the sides of the das) being connected to either system fresh or heating. This justyfies my previous staement of the 1303 not being carefuly being thought after.

sorry for the long post

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old December 14th 2007, 18:46

Hi Chris

Thanks for that info. The small outlets on the end of the dash are connected to the same tube that comes up from the heater channel and goes to the defroster outlets on the windscreen. I've seen cars with speakers for split systems mounted there.

I owned the same flat screen 1302 for 31 years, I sold it and now have 2 1303s. One is my daily driver, the other a long term project.

After having lived with a 1303 as a daily driver, the one thing I think where VW dropped the ball is the dash. To do anything at all electrical on it you need to remove the speedo and plastic fascias and poke around and work mostly by feel, and I'm always catching my feet on the fuse box.

My daily driver 1303 is mostly stock but compared to a flat screen 1302 the high speed slipperiness of the 1303 very noticeable and I've driven many miles in both cars in stock form. It must be the windscreen shape?

The much longer attachment where the front 1/4s meets the windscreen scuttle will offer much better stiffness, my last 1302 cracked in this area.

On my other 1303 project I'm fitting air conditioning, the Subaru motor I'm using still has the compressor etc, plus I'm a big girls blouse.

I've got it mostly nutted out in my head. I've managed to fit a much more powerful 3 speed fan in the air box under the hood, the air vents to this box will be closed off and the fan will only draw air from inside the cabin, so the air will recirculate only. The evaporator will be inside the cabin on the other side of the firewall in a box, this box will distribute cooled air to either windscreen or out the dash louvres. To make it easier to work on this contraption I'm planning to make part of the top of the dash removable, a bit like a T3 Transporter instrument cover.

Sorry for my long reply, Steve
Old December 16th 2007, 22:10

Steve,
They are for the Factory A/C
Here are some links to pics of mine
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../dashvent1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../Dashvent3.jpg

Gerry
Old December 17th 2007, 06:21

Hi Gerry

Thanks for that. Your centre louvres look different to the ones in all the 1303 dashes that I have. Mine are much thinner. Your outer louvres appear to protrude a bit as well. If you've ever had your dash apart, did you notice any part numbers on the louvres.

Steve
Old December 17th 2007, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi Gerry

Thanks for that. Your centre louvres look different to the ones in all the 1303 dashes that I have. Mine are much thinner. Your outer louvres appear to protrude a bit as well. If you've ever had your dash apart, did you notice any part numbers on the louvres.

Steve
Looks can be decieving the louvers actualy have some adjustment in them and swing in and out of the duct the center vent actually is the same size
as stock( I checked when I was switching the stereo over from the previous 1303) but the way the louvers stick out it looks bigger. There is no part #s on the moveble part of the louver I have been trying to track down a copy of the instruction/owners manual for the A/C but they are pretty elusive.
Old December 18th 2007, 07:59

Grrr my 'factory' air car doesn't have those! But it's been converted from left to RHD...

and anyway, the air noworkies!
'76 fuel injected Cabriolet
..and a good ol' Aussie V8