GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 23rd 2012, 15:52

Some Time Attack action from last weeks sunday:

I was 5th in my class of 31 cars during warm-up.
Unfortunately I was disqualified after 10/15 minutes for being 'too noisy'... (99dB vs limit of 92 dB apperently)

Last edited by Wally; September 23rd 2012 at 16:06.
Old September 23rd 2012, 23:23
Administrator

Noise limit on a race track?
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 24th 2012, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Noise limit on a race track?
We have that problem on most of our racetracks, new people move in the area and then complain about the noisy cars, they must also have relations that move next to airports and have the whinge about aircraft noise
Old September 24th 2012, 01:30
Administrator

Pretty much a world-wide racetrack problem...
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 24th 2012, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
Pretty much a world-wide racetrack problem...
Yep, it surprised me however as on regular track days there I've never been pulled off since I run a separate muffler for the external wastegate..
A 90 degree rerouting of the downpipe exit away from the noise measuring point will help some, but 7dB gap probably needs a second in-line muffler...
Old September 24th 2012, 05:18

Yeah Wally,

7db is a LOT it's more than twice as loud. Every 3db sound doubles.
Old September 24th 2012, 05:31

Hi Ron,
Yeah, thats what I feared..

How are you mate? Did you get some work done on the car last year?

Cheers,
Walter
Old September 24th 2012, 07:49
Administrator

Those tracks will never host a real race event. F1, Le Manns Series, Indy Cars, Drag Racing. Hell even Red Neck Roundy-Round. They are all loud as hell. Racing is loud. Unless you want to watch the Lib-Tard Prius 500.
With the exception of the Audi TDI prototype (almost silent) every race car I have heard is very loud.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 24th 2012, 08:13

Quote:
Those tracks will never host a real race event.
A little OT, but thats not entirely true.
Thats because sound is accumulated into 'baskets' of loudness versus (or x) time.
For instance, that same track (Zandvoort) has held a full DTM race and also historic races which have some very loud cars. Some weekends have special permits or are called 'sound days'.
So, x sound levels during x time (or instances you pass the mic) determines how much total loudness is allowed during a day. The total sound level during an event is what is 'sold' to an event organisor.
All sound added in a year is the limit of their permit. Obviously they didn't want to 'spend' it on our little meaningless track sessions.
In other words, if I had been allowed to continue driving, another event furtheron in the year could have cancelled.
Its a little stupid as furtheron inside the track, 1/4 mile runs with open exhausts, drifting, 'Ghymkana' and bike burn-outs were held, all being much louder then my car. Unfortunately, only the TimeAttack cars drove past the microphone that day...

Last edited by Wally; September 24th 2012 at 08:19.
Old September 24th 2012, 10:17

Hi

Wally maybe you need a swivelling exhaust outlet so that you can direct it away from the microphone

A track I've ran at has very strict noise restrictions, the owner of the track will offer you a roll of chicken wire to poke up your exhaust which does an amazing job but maybe not 7db.

Steve
Old September 24th 2012, 12:55

Quote:
Those tracks will never host a real race event. F1, Le Manns Series, Indy Cars, Drag Racing. Hell even Red Neck Roundy-Round. They are all loud as hell. Racing is loud. Unless you want to watch the Lib-Tard Prius 500.
With the exception of the Audi TDI prototype (almost silent) every race car I have heard is very loud.
Laguna Seca is really serious about sound. There is a problem with some one almost every time I'm there. Same deal, louder allowed on certain dates, quiet on most.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 25th 2012, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Some Time Attack action from last weeks sunday:

I was 5th in my class of 31 cars during warm-up.
Unfortunately I was disqualified after 10/15 minutes for being 'too noisy'... (99dB vs limit of 92 dB apperently)
Car looks great on three wheels in the corners Wally, how stable does it feel when you are pushing it like that ?
Old September 25th 2012, 04:07

Cheers for that Graham,

A friend did install a Go-pro in the car during the run those pics are taken, so I would hope to show you later. Image was taken up-side down so some editing needs to be done probably.

The car is pretty stable in low-speed corners though and has very little understeer imo. At least with my driving style, which compared to others, isn't that aggressive or so I heard. of course they were just too chicken to tell me I didn't give it 100%
But in all seriousness, I don't have a trailer with me so I don't push it into risking spinning or crashing. And that leaves some time on the table. So be it.

There is however still a problem when accelerating hard towards (and past) about 120-125 mph (190-200 km/h) where the car wants to change direction too easy (too much from only very little steering input) or almost by itself. Same I felt at Spa-Francorchamp. Although rear coil overs would surely help some (its too soft in the rear atm), the real problem is very probably aero related is my conclusion of the past years.
Without a rear wing of some sort, the beetle shape gets very light in the rear and any imbalance from wind or slight steering input gets eggagurated (sp?) and it just feels instable then and its not the front!

Last year with the same TimeAttack round at the same track I used my modified simple single flat plane rear wing and it felt just fine I can remember. So I will try to make a little nicer and will probably not run on a track without it anymore.
Funny thing is, EVERY other make of car, especially in the faster classes runs a rear wing, while my beetle, who's shape REALLY needs it the most, didn't have a rear wing (the ducktail is too low for that qualification) because... it looks a bit odd or ugly to others...
By now, having felt what I did in the car, I think I'am finally past that
Old September 25th 2012, 05:19

I think a spoiler above the rear window would be more effective.Due to the bug's shape at the rear,there is much less airflow to the spoiler at its current position.Imho that's the reason your flat spoiler felt better because it was higher and getting more flow.
Old September 25th 2012, 07:17

No building just part collecting and repairing. I grabbed a couple of 4 tab bonnets which are expensive and hard to find down under.
Oh and i got a new car. another 69 semi auto but this one is amazingly straight and rust free. Already stripped it and sold the parts for more than i paid for the car.

Regarding the wing, go for it mate. Join me and Steve c in the big arse wing club!!!!