GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old June 10th 2003, 12:43

Would this still be considered German Look?

Hello,
Just thinking about my car and some of the things I'd like to do to it. First off it'll be all black, with no chrome except the bumpers and 17" black wheels. If I was to get some blue pin-striping would this still be considered Germanlook? That's something that usually considered dated. The other thing I was thinking that might be cool would be to get a roof rack but have the wooden slats stained black. That way only the rails would be chrome. It'd make for an interesting look but is it still germanlook? I'm going to do the pinstriping no matter what I think that'd look badass but I dunno about the roofrack, it'd be cool and could be used for hauling **** but I dunno if it's look right with bucket seats and the back seat removed. What do you guys think?
Old June 10th 2003, 14:38

Well ... this is my take to your question:

First, regardless of definitions and daffynitions, it's your car and you should do whatever you want to make you happy with it.

The pinstripes would definitely give your car an American flavor. I can't see that "disqualifying" your car as GLer as it neither helps nor hinders your car in the modernization and performance areas.

Now the roof rack ... uh, er ... that would certainly hinder performance. Of course, adding air conditioning would hinder performance, too. Both could be considered as added "creature comforts." Yet, I would say (and this is my post and should be considered only as such) the roof rack would be a violation of the "look" whereas a/c would make a car more comfortable as a daily driven GLer. I guess in the case of the roof rack versus a/c, I could consider a/c as modernization and the rack as a disqualification.

(I don't know why I selected a/c as a comparison.)

Then again, why should you care what I think.

Then further again, if everyone drove what I liked, I would no longer like it.

I'm going to stop now before my train of thought becomes more inbred and circular.

-René
Old June 10th 2003, 15:51

If the roof rack is to be purely a "fashion statment", I'd dump it. If your looking for something functional to go on the roof of a GL style car, try a thule or Yakima rack system - both provide clean looks (in black too) with a boat load of useful accessories that'll fit your bug (assuming your GL transformation doesn't involve shaving the drip rails).

Either way - its your car, do what YOU want and be happy with it!

Brian
Old June 10th 2003, 19:18

i would agree with the above sentiments. i don't think the roof rack is going to work with the "look". black is always good. and i only like chrome on black. so go for that.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 10th 2003, 19:19

Hmm. My take on this. I got into the beetle thing back in the 70's, so pin strips are cool with me (then again I wanna do flames on my car). Maybe time for a comeback. The roof rack in wood and chrome is too retro, aka Cal look. I like the suggestion above. If you gotta have a rack, go with something modern.
Old June 11th 2003, 06:38

Roof rack if it is functional. A lot of the German Look has to do with function over form.

I, personally, don't dig pinstripes, except in certain cases. This is not one of them. However, as oasis said, I don't think it will disqualify you.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old June 11th 2003, 07:53

the pinstripes would be ok in my opinion, but the roof rack is another story. I wouldnt use one of those classic ones like the retro guys use, I would go with something more modern like you see on some 0f the newer Jettas.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old June 11th 2003, 10:55

I'm definitely going to go with the pinstriping now. It looks good and it'll set me apart from the rest of you guys. As for the roof rack I think I'll just skip out on that one. I don't really like modern roof racks. But the pinstriping will definitely be done.

An all black car with blue pinstriping and then some blue colored kevlar stuff from Carbon Joe. I think that'd be pretty badass in itself. Perhaps get the calipers powder coated blue as well. Who knows, I've got a while before anything materializes, just wanted to get some opinions.

Last edited by Iworkatwendys; June 11th 2003 at 20:45.