GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old March 12th 2003, 05:01

difference between 944 '86 turbo & 87 turbo+ brakes?

does anyone know the what the difference is between 944 '86 turbo & 944' 87 + turbo brakes are ?

The rotors are are defined as being different in the parts catalogue.

Trying to buy the correct parts is a mine field.

project in progress
Old March 12th 2003, 07:09
Superman

The hubs were redesigned in '87 consquently so were the discs.
Old March 17th 2003, 04:29

Are the spindles the same then? I'm running early 944 brakes all round on my car. What exactly do I need to make a turbo conversion?

Thanks.

Sprint.
Old March 18th 2003, 18:40
Superman

No the spindles are not the same. The 944 has 4 different spindles and the only one that will bolt into our car (Supers) without modifications is the 83-85 944NA.
Old March 18th 2003, 22:13

I have a similar question also..
I believe i have 87 front spindles but can't figure out since I can't really read part number.. How much do they differ and what would it take to use 87 non turbo spindle up front..
I posted similar question else where.. Sorry for the double post.. I am also having pad problems
Alex
Old March 18th 2003, 22:49

4 different spindles?! Manz.. that's a lot! :silly:

Hehe... So, do you have access to any parts diagrams? How do the different spindles differ? Same bearings? Do they bolt to the strut in the same way or different struts altogether? I believe the M030 strut is different, but the rest?

Does the lower balljoint mount the same? The control arm looks the same expect the early ones are steel with removeable ball joints whereas the late ones are aluminium with non-removeable ones...

Thanks.

Sprint.
Old March 19th 2003, 00:13
Superman

Yes I have access to Porsche tech manuals as my Dad is a retired VW/Porsche/Audi Master Tech.

The spindles made many changes because as the calipers, ball joints, and hubs changed so did the spindle to mount these.

The struts basic shape is the same but the Porsche (late) strut is larger than the VW one. The Porsche springs have a larger O.D. than the VW and in simple terms the older the 944 got the componets got bigger, brakes became huge, ball joints went from 17mm to 19mm, etc.
Old March 19th 2003, 00:24

Superman thanks,

How about using porsche springs that are shorter.. i.e. Eibach prokit.. or something similiar.. I figure I would need something way softer.. Not sure of the spring rate on the SB.. But it would be stiffer than my stock but softer than porsche stock..

Foreseen problem...guess would be clearance of spring and wheel.. Maybe with spacers.. I would go with Flared fenders.. 1.5" or something.. Could I still use VW strut top to get a little lower and still be safe..
Sorry for incoherence.. Late and gotta go to work..(Me LAZY)

Any thoughts..

If anyone has info on the spindles that would be great.. Does anyone make a 19mm Balljoint vs the standard 17 that would have been needed if I had the right parts.. Still think its a 87 but who knows..
Thanks again
alex
Old March 19th 2003, 00:37
Superman

If you use even the softest Porsche spring I think it would still be too heavy as the motor is in the front for that car. Also, you'd have to use the Porsche top mount for the spring and I don't know if the VW bearing will work with that or even if the spring itself will fit into the VW body. I've never looked into using the Porsche springs, mostly due to my first sentence here.
Old March 19th 2003, 03:09

So, the 944 Turbo brakes are not exactly bolt on, eh?

Sprint.
Old March 19th 2003, 03:32
Superman

The only way to just bolt them right on is with a kit from MBT.

www.mbt-engineering.de
Old March 19th 2003, 10:20

Still a little confused.

Would it be possible with some Topline struts or similiar to try to get the 944 spindle to mount correctly.. Then my only issues I believe would be determining if the Ball Joints are 17 or 19 in size.. Is there a 19mm conversion from someone to make this a direct mount to super..
How is the 17 mm or 19mm measured.. Pics Please..
Alex
Old March 19th 2003, 12:01

Hello Loaf,

Are you referring to the 'normal' 944 conversion or are you talking about more exotic stuff like 944 Turbo or 968 brakes?

If it's the former, it's a simple bolt-on affair. I've done it myself a while back. The only modification necessary is the addition of a shim of 1mm thickness to the stock balljoint to turn it into 17mm, up from the stock 15mm.

Good luck with your project.

Do you have a late or early Super?

Sprint.
Old March 19th 2003, 14:10

Sprint..
I am doing a late model conversion 78 convertible (super). I am also doing a normal conversion not turbo.... What do you mean about a shim 1mm? Can you elaborate.. I am getting curious.. Is this a same alternative to buying the 17mm Ball Joint..
I just picked up the Haynes 944 manual. Currently it is sitting in my daily driver, so when I get home from work I will study..

Thanks Alex
Old March 19th 2003, 18:49
Superman

Get the 17mm ball joint from Kerscher!!! The homemade shim, which should be 2mm, is VERY dangerous and if it fails the control arm will come off the spindle and you will loose the ability to steer the car. The strut tower will be all but torn off the car, the wheel will be forced into the fender and body causing damage. All of this is before the car evently crashes into something because you can't steer it. Is your car and more importantly your life worth about $75??? You guys need to remember that all these cutting and welding modifications to the suspension can be a dangerous situation.