GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13th 2006, 11:50

Super Beetle single A arm front suspension.

Super Beetle single A arm front suspension.

Since I am putting on the 944 porsche brakes on my car I have decided that due to the heavier nature of the porsche set up that I would like a beefier controll arm. I had first considered fabricating one from scratch, but then thought some off the shelf technology would make finding replacement parts easier in the future. I found some Audi 4000 A arms that may work.

I may have some questions for the pros here as this is my first front suspension mod.

Here is what I know so far.

The frame head for a super looks like an Capital I just with larger lines on the top and bottom lol. The S beetle control arm attaches to the midded of the I shape in the middel of the I kind of like this I-. How ever to mount the A arm the arm will have to be mounted to the ends of the I like this I>. This puts the pivot points a good 4 to 5 inches farther from the center of the car than the original S bettle control arm. It will have the same amount of travel as the original S bettle control arm. How ever the A arm has no provisions for camber adjustment at the ends like the S bettle arm does. To get around this I will be either using the lower half of a porsche 944 strut assembly as the camber adjustment is built in there or adapting the S beetle strut to do the same.

Here is where the questions come in.

1- Will having the pivot points moved farther out from the center of the car cause problems I need to know about?

2- Has any one done this before? If so what parts did they use?