GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old June 18th 2007, 21:42

Electric washer bottle

can someone help me, i have my electric washer bottle mounted and piped in and now i'm trying to wire it up. I think that the red button in the center of my dash is the old button for the spare tire bottle (it was gone and the nosal was painted over when i got the car) I looked on my wiring diagram and can't figure out what the wires run to and from I don't want to mess the wiring up can someone help? there is a whiteish wire that looks like it connects to my emergency light switch, a red wire that i guess is the power to lightup the red buttons internal light, and a brown wire that runs right to the wiper motor switch, which i guess used to open a valve to spray the old washer. I circled the button in question in the picture if anyone can help. I'm no good with car wiring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bug1.jpg (16.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by wkubug; June 19th 2007 at 17:33.
Old June 18th 2007, 23:20

why not do what i did and mount a micro switch in the stock washer switch. then wire the pump in to the bottle.

my complete sbug rebuild
if you dont believe that something so broken can be fixed have a look at the link above
Old June 19th 2007, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by barls View Post
why not do what i did and mount a micro switch in the stock washer switch. then wire the pump in to the bottle.
That's a real clever idea. I wish I had thought of that. I placed my switch under the dash to the left of my left leg near the rear window defroster switch. (I have a LHD 1302.)
Old June 19th 2007, 17:25

i'm trying to use the original hardware to keep it clean looking without a bunch of extra wires and switches. Can i just unhook the wires from that switch and use the wires from my new washer bottle i would like to keep the light up button rather then the plain red one that came with the bottle. I'm just worried that it will mess up my wipers if the wire is disconnected?
Old June 19th 2007, 20:20

mines etup so ive got the 2 speed wipers in the positions and then you pull on the lever and it activates the washers its not hard you replace the valve that there for the stock system with a micro switch. im sorry i dont have any pics as i didnt take my camera with me that week and its now in the car

my complete sbug rebuild
if you dont believe that something so broken can be fixed have a look at the link above
Old June 20th 2007, 09:11

I'm afraid, wkubug, I didn't read your posts as thoroughly as I should. I'm left with some questions.

Is your bug a standard or a Super? What year is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkubug View Post
... I think that the red button in the center of my dash is the old button for the spare tire bottle (it was gone and the nosal was painted over when i got the car) I looked on my wiring diagram and can't figure out what the wires run to and from I don't want to mess the wiring up can someone help? there is a whiteish wire that looks like it connects to my emergency light switch, a red wire that i guess is the power to lightup the red buttons internal light, ...
That button sounds like the brake light warning light to me. Hence, my questions at the top of the page. If it is, I highly recommend you do not disconnect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkubug View Post
i'm trying to use the original hardware to keep it clean looking without a bunch of extra wires and switches. Can i just unhook the wires from that switch and use the wires from my new washer bottle i would like to keep the light up button rather then the plain red one that came with the bottle. I'm just worried that it will mess up my wipers if the wire is disconnected?
How do you turn your wipers on? If you have a stalk connected to the steering column, I am not sure if you can maintain its use for the washer using stock components.

If you have a dash switch as I do on my '71 Super, I know there have been people who converted the "pump" portion of that switch such that it would electrically pump the washer unit. I do not have that kind of expertise. Plus, I envisioned it being clumsy to be pushing and turning in order to pump and activate the wipers.

I used an independent on/off switch out of sight to activate the washer bottle. That way I did not have to cut the dash any further.

Edit: I looked through my existing pics and found this one. If you look below the quad-CHT gauge (the one furtherest to the left), you can see the little black toggle switch point downward. That is my washer switch.

Last edited by oasis; June 20th 2007 at 09:23.
Old June 20th 2007, 20:26

Hi

One of our club members wrote this article on this subject. http://www.clubvw.org.au/how_to_modi...ndscreen_w.htm

I did a similar thing on my 1302 & 1303s. On one car I bought a new wiper switch and it had an extra black wire coming out of it, it supplies power when the wiper switch was pulled back.

Steve
Old June 25th 2007, 14:58

i've got a standard 68 bug, the switch i was talking about is the red push buton centered above the radio like the one seen in oasis's picture, except mine only hase the red pushbutton not the extra button or knob in the indented part of the dash.

I don't think its a warning light because it acts like a switch and glows when pushed and has a spring return like a pushbutton. I know that a brown wire is running from the button to part of the wiper knob, i'm just concerned because there is a white or gray wire that seems to be running from the emergency switch, is this just being used as a common power/ground?
Old June 25th 2007, 16:04

My red button is the brake warning light and it illuminates when pushed, then springs back. The switch it is housed with is a two-speed fan switch. I have no idea why they are grouped together like that as if they're related to each other somehow. Your red button may not be the same as mine though. I am unfamiliar with older cars.
Old June 27th 2007, 10:16

i never heard of a brake warning light like that, very strange! those crazy germans

I guess i will go with the extra toggle switch then or i might tryout that wiper mod

thanks a lot