GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old February 29th 2008, 23:23

New wiring harnesses?

I've decided to tackle the scariest thing about my '73 Super's rebuild, the wiring. Its a complete rats nest of "custom" work and "repairs" by the previous owners. When I got the car back in '95 the electrical was screwed. I patched it together best I could to make it work right and even then it wasn't all that reliable. So now that I'm doing as complete of a rebuild you can do and leave the body on the pan I'm looking at the wiring and longing for a correct and complete setup. So I've been looking at Watson Street Works' wiring harness. It looks compelling, modern relays, fuses and a seemingly easy to follow wiring instructions; however, I'm not an electrical guy and its really intimidating.

So I leave you with this. If you were going to rewire your bug and you weren't smart enough to simply build your own wiring harness from scratch, which "kit" would you go with?
Old March 1st 2008, 21:42

I've used watsons kit on a '79 vert for my father-in-law about seven years ago. I don't like wiring at all, but the kit was very easy to use.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 1st 2008, 22:34

I went with the WSW kit and was very satisfied. I had never wired more than a car stereo before installing the full wiring harness. The WSW instructions are clear and fairly easy to follow -- and the guys at WSW were great anytime I had a question (I had several add-on not covered in the instructions). It took me about 10-15 hours to do the install...