GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old November 18th 2005, 11:59

I'll chime in on this. I agree with Speedy too. My car will have modern suspension, engine and trans. Good brakes and 18" wheels. The main focus being performance but heavey on looks too. My background was streetrods and hotrods. I got into VW's about 10 years ago because they seamed like a lot of fun but I quickly noticed that there were certain "Recipies" that way too many people were following, "cal-look, resto custom, DKP.... (but you get to choose between a few colors!)Kinda like the Early RED Camaro crowd. I decided I was going to build a VW the way I wanted and it just so happend that I seam to fit better with the GL group but I don't think my car necessarily fits GL. It does however fit the way "I" want to build my car. So it just may be a PJLOval-look VW. A little bit Streetrod, hotrod and Euro. Let's stay away from "recipies" and then we can keep our individuality!
Old November 19th 2005, 15:00

Individuality is never a bad thing . The car I want to build is like what PJL54Oval said - a little bit of this , a little bit of that , and a whole lot of ME ! Way to express it PJL54Oval ! Rock on!!!
Old November 20th 2005, 00:03

I hope that didn't sound like I was knocking the GL theme. I love it. Ever sine I saw the first Kafer Cup car I was sold. I would just hate to see ten years down the road a bunch of cookie cutter cars that all look the same. I don't think that is a problem based on what I see and read on this site. German influenced design is very tasteful and I think it will have a timless element as well if it is used correctly.
Old November 20th 2005, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Well I think the German look is now totaly de-chromed. Colour is also important, leading towards more modern european colours.
This is an old thread, but still fun!

However, I couldn't disagree more with the above...
Actually, I believe GL isn't a 'look' at all, but rather a 'style' and/or a way how to do things to a car. Therefore, color and chrome (trim) or not is totally not important...

To emphasize the 'sleeper' part of a 'German-style' car, we usually keep the original paint color and most (side) trim in place.
Then again, that maybe just me

Regards,
Walter
Old November 20th 2005, 08:05

I don't think it is about look at all.

Form follows function...

Rich
Old November 21st 2005, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
I don't think it is about look at all.

Form follows function...

Rich
Form may follow function , but I know that even though you may have a smoking performance car , you wouldn't want it to look like a piece of crap . I know I want a great looking car . I think I can assume that I am not alone in this . Axl .
Old November 21st 2005, 00:47

I think what Ricola is trying to say is that when planning to build these great cars, we first concentrate on the fundamentals of what needs to be done to get most out of our cars then concentrate on what we want it to look like. As opposed to say the resto-custom crowd who are going for a certain look and could care less about handling and braking, or the vintage crowd. Another example is the Cal Look crowd with all the rules on how their cars have to look. We don't have specific rules on what our rides have to look like but they have to have certain mechanical traits, i.e. upgraded brakes, suspension, 5 speeds though not required are encouraged, power enough to use all of that, more modern gauges, sport seats....German Lookers are not rat rods so we want a tasteful paint job, modern performance cars usually don't have a lot of chrome so most GLers have shaved turn signals and painted bumpers. Form follows function.
Old November 21st 2005, 04:54

That's what I was getting at
Obviously we also want them to look good but anything we add is orientated around performance, not sticking things on to the car for the sake of it, and it is all done properly with a quality feel. Kind of like the Ruf of the Porsche world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Ninja
I think what Ricola is trying to say is that when planning to build these great cars, we first concentrate on the fundamentals of what needs to be done to get most out of our cars then concentrate on what we want it to look like. As opposed to say the resto-custom crowd who are going for a certain look and could care less about handling and braking, or the vintage crowd. Another example is the Cal Look crowd with all the rules on how their cars have to look. We don't have specific rules on what our rides have to look like but they have to have certain mechanical traits, i.e. upgraded brakes, suspension, 5 speeds though not required are encouraged, power enough to use all of that, more modern gauges, sport seats....German Lookers are not rat rods so we want a tasteful paint job, modern performance cars usually don't have a lot of chrome so most GLers have shaved turn signals and painted bumpers. Form follows function.
Old November 21st 2005, 23:07

I'll buy that!
Old December 8th 2005, 13:11

Exclamation

As many Porsche parts as possible. Brakes, wheels, motor, transmission, interior. This is the german look and of course the car should be 1302/03.
Old December 8th 2005, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAF
As many Porsche parts as possible. Brakes, wheels, motor, transmission, interior. This is the german look and of course the car should be 1302/03.
If the car is not a 1302/03 , does that not mean it is not a GL? What about the GL Ghias and Type 2's out there ? Do they not count ? I personally don't think there should be limits put on what can and cannot be used as far as the car goes . With different types of VeeDubs used , there is more variety and , I hope , a lot more fun . Of course , I could be wrong ....
Old December 9th 2005, 01:11

I wanna GL up my 914. modern + performance = German Look
Old December 14th 2005, 01:42

just a thought , the gl look probably came from the german cars a few years back that used predominantly porsche parts (stay with me )the reason so many porsche parts were used would be the fact that many parts were easily interchangable and the cars were in germany,so does this mean using porsche parts from a 1970 porsche would give me the porsche sorry german look , i think not ,some of the best cars i have seen have used merc parts or parts from various manufacturers not always german. I suspect the original guys in germany thought there cars had the performance look and german look was no doubt coined by people seeking to emulate them .
To me gl should mean cars that have had there performance enhanced to modern standards and in many cases way beyond ,being able to out accelerate , brake, corner and look good at the same time must be the ultimate goal, anyway thats my 2 cents
jon
zx7rr
Old January 18th 2006, 16:43

it's a mindset
Old January 20th 2006, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazerviking
it's a mindset
What a deep and profound statement! Almost Zen-like!