GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 31st 2005, 00:51

Last night the car finally hit the floor. It's been on jackstands for 3 years now, so it was quite a momentous occasion. Here is the rear end on the ground:

I should mention, at this point in time the rear end still has the ability to steer! So it makes this thing easy to move around the garage

Obviously this is temporary. The C-clamps should do just fine for moving it around, but I put the zip ties on just as a safety precaution.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; October 31st 2005 at 01:31.
Old October 31st 2005, 01:16

Here's my Boo Boo. I had a preview of this over a year ago, but I was beyond the point of no return, so I had to keep it going. The wheel is set back slightly, I'm guessing about 15mm. A longer wheelbase will be better for high speed stability anyway, right?! If I get too upset about it, I'll reshape the front inside edge of the fender to make the gap look better.

This one is a little fuzzy, sorry. Better pics to come.

1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; October 31st 2005 at 14:27.
Old October 31st 2005, 02:42

Lookin great Jason nice to see you are still on it great work that man! way to go
Old October 31st 2005, 14:28

Hey Paul,

Do you know what happened to your project?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 31st 2005, 18:10

Verry nice update!!!!

How wide are your rear fenders?

Greetings Wiebrand
Old October 31st 2005, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
Hey Paul,

Do you know what happened to your project?

Jason
I dont Im afraid Ill see if i can find out who the new owner is and where theyre up to.
Old November 1st 2005, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelook
Verry nice update!!!!

How wide are your rear fenders?

Greetings Wiebrand

I can't remember for certain, but they are the widest ones CCC makes, I think 3"? maybe 2"

Sorry,

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 3rd 2005, 16:47

Very nice. :agree:
Old November 3rd 2005, 17:21

amazing car, amazing thread!!! Here is my question, I have a 00 1.8t beetle wrecked, i have been planning a subaru swap for sure, but seeing this thread makes me want to rip the motor out of the new beetle, and the harness, and everything else, and put it in my 73 beetle. would you recommend it? is there any info you could give me to either persuade me to do it or not do it? I really like the idea of the swap, because the transmission is a strong unit, the motor is stout as hell, it would be completely mid engine, more or less, and would make a VERY nice setup.
Old November 4th 2005, 01:37

I'd like to say go for it, but I can't prove that it will be any good! Sure it will be powerful, and the weight will be more forward, but it will also be taller. I would think maybe my next conversion will be STi with an Audi tranny, really mid-engine. Even the 1.8t with an Audi tranny would be a great option. It will involve a lot more cutting of the pan, but much less of the body. You'd need to figure out a new rear suspension. I've been eyeing these guys' rear end(no, I'm not gay)

http://www.sakermotorsports.com/gall...ry_theCar.html

They use a Suby mid-engine and they've figured out the suspension and GET THIS, it's the right width for the bug as well. OK, you may have to use wider fenders, but still.

I'm not done with mine, and if it works out great, I might stick with it for a long, long time, but if it's just OK, that will be my next move. Heck, I might even go with an Audi 2.7t!

If you want to use your 1.8t, you'll probably have to do the same thing I did, or hook it up to an Audi tranny and build your own rear suspension. I didn't have the stomach for it at the time, so I figured I stick with what VW did, but in the end, the front suspension was designed for a FWD car, and that geometry may come back to bite me in the butt. If you could make the Saker guys talk or get parts from them, you'd be able to build yourself some sweet rear suspension. It may be OK, but like I said, I really don't know how it will work out yet.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 4th 2005, 03:48

i think the fact that it sits higher, is about a 1.618 on a scale of 1-10 in drawbacks. the good things are the transmission is strong, the motor is in the middle, the front vw suspension can be used on the rear (i bet it would work well), the transmission is strong, the transmission is strong, the transmission is strong, and .... well, yeah.

the fabrication needed to make it all fit will be a bitch, and ill have to learn fast, or wouldhave to if i do this, but i really think it should be a tear your hair off fast, and really well balanced overall.

i think youre just being humble.

you deserve props.
Old November 7th 2005, 22:50

Keep in mind that what I have is a combination of many years of VWs for the drivetrain. There is a MkIII subframe, MkII control arms, MkIII tranny, MkIV engine. If you tried to make your MkIV stuff fit in, you'd have a rear end that is about 3" wider than what I already have. On top of which, MkIVs have a pendulum mount for the motor, and unless you are interested in cutting more body than I already have, the pendulum mount won't fit, though it is much better for handling high HP. The main thing is the track of the drivetrain, and MkIV is WAY wider than MkII.

I was at Infinion Raceway this weekend for BMW CCA track "school" with my M3. Parked next to me was a Noble M12, a Lotus Elise, and a Ford GT. It was rough. Anyway, I got a chance to spend a lot of time looking at the Noble and the Lotus. The Lotus is almost exactly the same layout as my bug, but it has a much shorter wheelbase. They just put a Toyota motor in there, but it sits exactly where mine 1.8t does in relation to the rear wheels. It made me feel better. I just hope my suspension geometry lends itself to some good handling.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 7th 2005, 23:37

Walked up to the neighbor's yesterday, he's got a Noble M12... with get this- 115 miles on it! Says he's about to sell cuz who needs a silly car like that !!! said his brother talked him into building one because the brother had one on order too. There are actually 3 here... kinda funny, we've got more Nobles per capita than anywhere in the US. Anyway, neat car. Still, eighty grand is a lot of cheese.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 8th 2005, 21:33

mmmmmmmmmm cheeeeeeeese........

I think mine might be more fun. The trouble with high performance cars like that is where to drive them. It doesn't surprise me he only has 100 miles on it. It's sad. I'm going to thrash my bug as often as possible until it begs me to stop. That's fun. I went for a few laps in a couple of other older M3s, still E36s, but '95s. They had springs and shocks and R compound tires. OMG, it was insane. I could barely hang on. There is very little guilt in thrashing an older, not that expensive car. When the Ford GT was out on the track, do you think he could stomach giving it 9 or 10 10ths? I don't think so. Thats why I want to build a car that is relatively inexpensive and very unique.

My 3 cents for the day.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 9th 2005, 11:36

I'll back up your 3 cents and raise you 3! Bang for the buck is what we're sayin'. As my wife and I were walking away from the Noble, she asked if I would build one of those... same philosophy as you, for 80 g's I could build a couple of fun cars and have a blast doing something different. There's 3 Nobles here, but how many Eco powered panels?
VKG Bastage child