GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 28th 2006, 01:06

jake will you be any at all interested in developing the 911 shroud you have from joe ( god rest his soul ).
Old August 28th 2006, 13:16

Yes, with some drastic changes to any other shroud ever completed before. I have two ideas right now that I just need time to work on.

I had planned on 2007 being the year i work on this, but its looking like our roller lifters and the Turbo development will take us clear through 2007..

I am still not ready for another cooling challenge really- it really is sucky work!
Old August 28th 2006, 21:09

Great i will be hanging around. Wally how in hell does that remmelle carbon fiber shroud cool with that very flat surface the air meets on when it leaves the fan.
Old August 29th 2006, 02:43

Beats me, but I am sure that form wasn't there by accident.

I guess it is just another way of trying to redirect the air 180 degrees for the 2 front cylinders instead of using a wider shroud and air deflectors like porsche did.

My other guess is that since shops only sell the new C2 style fans with Valeo (Rabbit-style) alternators which run in aftermarket fan housings (the only part of a porsche fan set up still available new through porsche is the curved fan itself, hence the aftermarket stuff), they had to make up for the not-listed-anymore porsche air deflector, which wouldn't fit a new housing anyway, by re-shaping the shroud itself...

Personally, I like a deep shroud with air deflectors better.
Old August 29th 2006, 04:46

How well does your porsche setup cool.
Old August 29th 2006, 05:48

Well enough for now. I dunno exactly as I have insufficient data to conclude anything since I also drive the bug very little these days. Not all 4 TC's have been installed yet and I only have 1 gauge...
Still experimenting with jake's advised type 1 under-cylinder tins, but simply changing them out for original tins is not an evening's work.
Spare time is limited; I'am not a shop...
Old August 29th 2006, 09:24

I have an idea. I do hope jake can jump in here, if the fan can be positioned further away from where the breather tower is ( 1inch to 1.5inch ) and also positioned lower i do think that you will create the senario where 1 & 2 cylinder gets enoudh air also 3 & 4 would receive enough air.
Old August 29th 2006, 13:10

It would help to move the fan aft. This creates two big issues:
1- It would cause decklid interferance
2- it would make for some real challenges with belt geometry.

Look at a 911 engine and note haw far the fan sits from the first two cylinders- its drastic and makes a huge impact.
Air doesn't like to bend 90 degrees.

It is interesting how after my test work was revealed how many shrouds have changd in some ways to benefit the 2-4 cylinders more. That didn't used to be a consideration ;-)
Old August 29th 2006, 16:11

The Remmele carbon shroud is approximately 7 years old...
Old August 29th 2006, 16:46

I was under the impression that it had been altered in the past couple of years?

I know that i have seen at least two different ones in the past few years.
Old August 29th 2006, 16:57

This particular carbon shroud is actually from one of the first complete Remmele engines that he build and the picture of this (2,7) engine is the one that is still on his site.
That was before he had acces to his type 4-type 1 heads, so its a long time back...about 7 years.

Development of cooling shrouds is very old in germany by now. The old Käfer cup series made for a lot of development in type 4 durability for track racing back in those days (late 80's and early 90's). You may not know the half of it Jake, but thats ok, as you have initiated new interest for the type 4 and made your own new products, which is excellent for us T4 enthousiasts
Old August 30th 2006, 19:14

Jake i am still thinking. You are right if the fan is to be moved 1 or 1.5 inches away from breather tower it would definately have belt geometry issues a soulution may be to make a distribution block for the crank pulley ( something similar to what wallies friends are doing with the overhead cam engine ) to drive the crank pully but instead of belts a drive tang with key and keyway could be bolted to the end of the crank snut then the distribution block placed over it with the relocated crank pully lining up perfectly with the fan pulley. Wah lah.
Old October 11th 2006, 17:24

Sandeep,

Is there any chance of getting pictures of the mods to the 911 fan.....?

Regards
063bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
The shroud with the mods to the back of the 911 fan is working great. The hottest temp I have to date is 361F on #4 at 17 psi, 5400 rpm in 4th.

sandeep
Old December 28th 2006, 06:23

Well, since I need to make my own shroud for the 2,7 anyways (its VERY wide and the Oettinger cylinders are quite some wider as well) and the case has been cut for the Ahnendorp system may many moons ago, I have started sculpting class:

Here's a picture of a RMB shroud with an even more pronounced 4th cylinder air path:

More pics in the next post:
Old December 28th 2006, 06:24

Obviously this idea has worked better than the older BAS 'low' shroud, so I will 'use' this idea in my own 'mold':

I need to make a mold from this form later, then make a shroud and then cut that one up to make a wider one from it...Pfft lots of work ahead. Luckily its X-mas holiday and I can foul around a little.

Walter