GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old November 29th 2007, 15:14

Need help emergency flasher

Hey guys, do u have any idea what terminal does what on the emerency flasher on a 1303? ( i bet it will be the same with other beetles, just different config). Im going to change all of the switches on my 1303 since im building a cuctom dash for it and simply i dont want the same old rocker switches. im going for industrial on/off switches that can accomodate 2 circuits at the time (4 terminals) (very simple, sturdy and look a bit racy. non illuminated)

Im looking at my Haynes manual page 157, (UK August 1972>)

the terminal line up on the switch is as follows

30 is the permanent live (red cable)

15 goes to the last fuse (on the right/ green cable) and to the brake warning lamp which i dont have

+ goes to + on the relay (white cable) i will assume that this powers the relay

L goes to a connector and then to the left rear light (black/white cable). on the same connector there is a cable coming from the column (terminal L) that goes to the left front light. Note that the connector is useless, ie the cables continue on their own route, they do not connect to each other.

R is connected as L color is black/green. again there is a connector that has 2on2 slots and the right front light gets power from the R terminal on the column.

31 whitch is connected to the brake warning light (dont have) and then is grounded through a brown wire.

till here everything is ok and i understand what is going on and where...
the switch has 1 more terminals that give me my hard time...

49a that connects through a black/green/white cable to a 1on1 connector.
on the same side of the connector terminal 49a on the column is connected. the other side of the connector goes to terminal 49a on the relay through a blue cable. aslo terminal 49a on the relay has the cable for the turn indicator (in the speedo)

So what the hell is going with termianl 49a???? do i need it? has something to do with the canceling of the turn indicators???

PLEASE HELP

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL

Last edited by beetle1303; November 29th 2007 at 15:38.
Old November 29th 2007, 16:02

Just thought to look on the 74 after wiring diagram and it is clear.when u dont have the hazzards on terminal 15 (green wire from fuse 12) is connected to terminal 49 and when u turn them on terminal 30 connects to terminal + and terminals L,R and 49a also get connected.

So, terminal + is terminal 49 and vice versa depending on production year.

Question: would an on/off/on switch do the job? (stay connected to one circuit (15) for hazzards off, but turn signal operation. and to the other circuit (30) for hazzards operation?

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL