GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 24th 2008, 12:51
vwdevotee

Audi Spindles?

I got my front spindles and hubs back from Lanner today, and they look beautiful. I ended up just purchasing new stock spindles from him, and when I was oogling them I noticed the spindles have both the VW logo on the back, and they have the Audi logo. I assume everyone else has noticed this also, but did Audi ever use balljoint front spindles? I was looking at someone elses picture of their corner assembly (also machined by Lanner), and they didn't have the Audi logo. Anyone have thoughts or an explanation?
Old April 24th 2008, 14:44

What kind of spindles are these?
Old April 24th 2008, 14:52
vwdevotee

They are OE balljoint spindles for a type 1. The exact details of which Lanner will have to chime in on.

Here's a picture of the casting marks on the inside of the upright.

Old April 24th 2008, 20:20

Yeah, I remember double-taking the Audi marks on that spindle. I think they are OEM Mexico, and the casting stamps are just put on everything they make. I don't know of any other chassis applications that use the BJ spindle other than T1 beetles and Ghia.

Wierd one.....
Lanner
Old April 25th 2008, 13:27

yeah, you'll find the VW/Audi logo inside the steering wheel of a Porsche 924 (and I'm sure many other 924 parts too). I presume it's standard for parts manufactured under the VAG group...
Old April 26th 2008, 08:06
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdevotee View Post
the spindles have both the VW logo on the back, and they have the Audi logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
I think they are OEM Mexico
When I lived in Italy I bought a lot of OEM stuff for my 1303 from the local dealership, he would get the parts directly from Germany. I noticed this too and he said that ever since the merger in the late '70's that all the parts were like this. The whole VW/Audi merger thing is used a lot more in Europe than it is in the USA. Audi has tried to keep themselves separate from VW in the USA since the early '80's because they wanted to be "upscale", this mostly due to it's competition with Mercedes and BMW here. It's hard to explain, but in Europe a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW are all in the same class but in America a VW has always been known as a "cheap" and "simple" car, so Audi tried to stay away from that image.