GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Articles > Technical Articles

Old April 29th 2010, 20:30

Post VW Split Bus Porsche 15x7 Phone Dials on 944 disc brakes

by Adrian Pillow
Jan 21, 2003

This is for a '66 Microbus that has an Old Speed 944 front disc brake upgrade. I have been running Porsche 15x6 Fuchs wheels with Pirelli P400 Touring tire in a 195/65/15 tire size. The tires have been very good on ride and performance. The offset on the Fuchs wheels is 23mm and from my perspective they stick out a bit too much, thus the motivation for this swap.

The 15x6 23mm offset Fuchs is a bolt on affair, no problems at all with fitment. The wider and deeper offset Phones do have an issue with mounting due to the interference with a grease fitting. The Porsche Phone Dials being used are 15x7 with a 52.3mm late offset.

This photo shows the minor interference with the grease fitting and inner wheel lip.

Here is the standard grease fitting.

Now there is just a few millimeters that needs removed and then round the corners on the grease fitting until the wheel does not rub anymore. Here is what the grease fitting looks like after the proper clearancing... Poor picture, sorry.

Here is the finished conversion. The tires are 215/60/15, cheap Futura tires but it they are in great shape and what came on the wheels... Also the Futura tires are made in the USA that is cool, Kumho tires although a great deal are made in Korea, which is not exciting to me. Eventually to be replaced with Kumho XH-11 tires (part of the ECSTA line) in a 205/65/15 size.

The grease fittings still rub a little on turns, but I can either grind a little more or get straight grease fittings that will fit much better... Or even a 45 degree fitting that angles away from the wheel. Not sure what exactly I will do, probably just let it rub a little. These wheels are not exactly rare or nice and the interference is minimal.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design

Tags
brakes, porsche, wheels