GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 8th 2008, 14:49

Stand offs

Hi, Do decklid stand offs work? I mean, know they work at making the deck lid stand off from the body but with all the turbulence and junk going on back there does a good amount of air actually get directed into the engine bay?

For me, I really don't want stand offs because I don't think they look very clean, but I'm little bit worried about the heat that will be in the engine compartment (ej20 turbo) for my intake to suck up. Also my intercooler is in there with 3, 300 cfm fans on it blowing down (IC is above the engine) and they need fresh air, right now they would just get what would come in through the decklid vents and below rear window vents. I figured those vents where for releasing air though. Should I actually be worried?

Also it would be nice to see some pics of GL bugs with stand offs. Do any exist? I figure function over form if I need them I'll get them. Or if theres another way like ducting from underneath?

Mike

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; April 8th 2008 at 14:52.
Old April 8th 2008, 15:15

some guys prop the decklid open at the bottom a bit. never tried it though

Alex
Old April 9th 2008, 08:52

I think Jake Raby did a test on the deck lid stand-off issue before.

I use the bottom prop when things get too warm in stop and go traffic. It usually drops the temps around 20 degrees. All I use is a 17mm deep socket with 1" diameter rare earth magnets on each end. Its easy enough to do at a stop light if I notice temps getting up.
Old April 9th 2008, 09:10

Hi

I have a set off stand offs on my daily 1303. A local guy makes them and calls them HoodJax (another Aussie word), they really drop the temperatures down. My daily is only stocker but on a hot day it will run at 100 c on the highway and will then drop 10 - 15 degrees when I fit them on. Oh they are completely removable in a few minutes.

Steve

Old April 9th 2008, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I have a set off stand offs on my daily 1303. A local guy makes them and calls them HoodJax (another Aussie word), they really drop the temperatures down. My daily is only stocker but on a hot day it will run at 100 c on the highway and will then drop 10 - 15 degrees when I fit them on. Oh they are completely removable in a few minutes.

Steve

Car looks great Steve, how is the decklid spring affected by taking these on and off? How are they attached? Are they the same as these http://www.cip1.ca/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D3030? Or do they attached to the actual decklid hinges?

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; April 9th 2008 at 12:22.
Old April 9th 2008, 18:57

You have to punch out the pins in the decklid hinge and they have quick release pins that go in. When you want to prop it out the assembly goes in between the hinge halves. There are pics on SBO of it. Slick idea.
Old April 9th 2008, 19:47

Hi

You loose the deck lid spring, it can be a bit cramped when its popped to check oil etc, but its very easy to just remove the pins and number plate wire, I have a quick release on my wires.

I have a air 2 water intercooler on my other 1303, it solves the problem of heat soak with an engine mounted intercooler. Two local WRX bugs have made an air intake through the rear fender for air cleaner, seems to work well.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoodjax.jpg (43.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Hoodjax_003.jpg (47.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Hoodjax_001.jpg (78.1 KB, 43 views)