GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old May 26th 2009, 04:27

Veeeery race...good luck!!
Old May 27th 2009, 08:56

Haven't checked in on this thread since we revived the site. You've made some good progress. Best of luck and keep up the quality work.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old May 28th 2009, 02:21

I know you all want to hear that the car is making crazy horsepower and pulls like a freight train but I'm afraid today wasn't my day. Got her down to the dyno and started tuning just fine until about 1.5 hours into the session. The ecu reset dumping most of our progress, losing the whole timing map and set us back at square one. The whole time we were running into wall after wall with the software (only coarse fuel adjustment, can't save the timing map that resets when you turn the car off, recalibrating tps and timing after every map save and load) so we called it after 2 hours and pushed the car back into the trailer. I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow and see what options I have but the ecu software and/or firmware has to change, or it will be replaced with the MS2 sitting next to me.

The take-aways from this excersize:
-tow rig and new trailer brake controller are awesome
-everything mechanical on the car was perfect and the oily header wrap finally stopped smoking
-once we (briefly) had a working map the motor sounded beautiful and revved very quickly
-very low vacuum (2-6 in/hg) at idle (1k-1.1k rpm) not sure if it's the cam or if there's a leak
-must add better tie down points to the bug
Old May 29th 2009, 00:58
Administrator

After working with the MSII system and seen the problems someone else had with a CB system (could have been that mechanic) I would have to say. why isn't the MSII ECU already installed . It is a great ECU. It can control your boost, oil cooler fan, alki injection, ingition map, knock sense, it will data log and still have a couple of open ins and outs you could use for other stuff.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 29th 2009, 13:35

I'm working on a MS2 system myself, just need some injectors and to have some stuff ported and wire everything up and install it all LOL Pretty excited about it. Everyone is telling me its a crap system but I know better.
Old May 29th 2009, 16:59

Well, you have to see it this way: good thing you found out now and not doing 130 mph
Good to hear it runs leak-free. Not many do, so, well done!
Old May 29th 2009, 17:06

AFter talking to Pat Downs yesterday it looks like I have an early version of the firmware and software (so much for early adoption). I'm going to update the ecu and play with it a bit but if I'm not happy I'm going to cut the connector and wire in the ms2. The main reason I haven't yet is I didn't know it worked with hei ignition, which will wire in directly with the CB kit. I'm modifying the ms2 for hei right now just in case.
Old August 2nd 2009, 22:05

Sweet... I'm with Jason,
good to hear it wasn't s HUGE problem and you didn't really hurt anything.

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old August 3rd 2009, 09:08

Glad to hear it was just that

But higher CR also could mean higher IAT's, so I would definately invest in some sort of intercooling while 'your in there'
Old August 3rd 2009, 17:19

I already have the water injection in place and since I know the problem now I may not even change the nozzle. The #2 nozzle is good for 250-400hp so it should be fine. Case #1 is at the machinist now getting 4mm shaved off the deck and should be back in my hands wednesday or thursday.
Old August 21st 2009, 14:59

Updates through the weekend!

Haven't had much time in the past couple weeks to work on the car, too many things happening all at once. My sister got breast cancer (thankfully benign and successfully removed), my mom has to go in for heart surgery yet again for her transplant heart (for the medical equivalent of a leak down test), and I've been on edge for over a week with a huge wild fire 3 miles from the house (mostly contained now but still unsettling)

I've been working feverishly on the car since I got home from work yesterday since I now have everything to put it back together. Got the long block assembled last night and hopefully in the car later today. If all goes well I'll be driving her again tonight or tomorrow. Pics coming!
Old August 22nd 2009, 05:04

Uploading some pics now, engine is inand managed to fire her up in the midnight hour. Sounds like there's a miss and she was blowing smoke but that could have been assembly oil. I'll have a better ida tomorrow.
Old August 22nd 2009, 07:17

Take it easy, don't rush things too much ;-)
Old August 22nd 2009, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Take it easy, don't rush things too much ;-)
It's funny that you say that... Last night after I got the motor in I was turning it over with the starter to build oil pressure and it started leaking oil terribly. discovered that in my rush I forgot to install the oil control valve. That's fixed now but easily over looked!

Some quick pics of the rebuild

Wrong manifolds but mine were port matched just like this. That's where most of the wait came from.

Machined the crank pully while I was at it to get some more clearance

This is the one thing I don't like about the DTM shroud, the way the oil cooler installs. First the oil cooler adapter goes on, then the shroud, pull out the top 2 long bolts out of the adapter, and wriggle on the oil cooler while keeping the seals in place. Then thread in the long bolts in through the cooler and bolt everything together. just a pain.

new wiring location away from the header

Almost there

more pics coming!
Old August 23rd 2009, 22:23

nice I like the turbo system, how makes it