GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old January 19th 2006, 00:04

has anyone noticed?

has anyone looked at the members list to find that probably more than 90% of our members have only made about 0-5 posts? like we have so many members but there's only a small percentage of us that are actually active. it would be cool to have more people involved
Old January 19th 2006, 07:49

newbies such as me are in that category also remember, but this is a world wide forum doin a minority modifying style on an old car in most cases, and some people come 4 oe thing, get it then leave, i first signed up for the pics :agree:
Old January 19th 2006, 09:12

I think that most newbies who may have used other forums as well as this have learned that questions that may have been covered 26 times such as 'How do I put Porsche Brakes on my lawn mower' get flamed by the veterans of the forum. Do that, or see it happen enough and when you join a new forum, you'll probably do more searches instead of asking questions. I believe that really cuts down on the number of posts you see from them.
Also, some people may get intimidated when they see a post from someone with 15,322 posts and may not answer or ask questions for fear of not being 'seasoned' enough on a particular forum to be worthy of a response. That is a shame really because I've seen it where people who have 10 posts make a statement or ask a question and you get the God of all Benchracing ( 1,000,000 posts and counting - someone with too much time on their hands at work) put them down or make snide remarks.

This is just how I perceive what goes on sometimes.

Kev
Old January 19th 2006, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT
I've seen it where people who have 10 posts make a statement or ask a question and you get the God of all Benchracing put them down or make snide remarks.
I see this a little (can't say never) here but not that much. This is really prevalent at Shop Talk Forums. I only go there once per week and I almost never post there anymore. I certainly won't post there if any one of four or five posters in particular are already involved in a thread. Unfortunately, these nose-bleeds hang out in the forums which have most of my interest.

The few times I have seen it here aren't coming from the mothers-in-law of all posters. And the snidefest seems to have a short shelf-life.

This post aside, I am trying to cut down my activity in the "Off Topic" area here and "The Lounge" at SBO!.com. I started to think I was contributing to the static rather than genuinely contributing about four months ago. I still attend both sites nearly every day.
Old January 19th 2006, 11:08

...sounds like glenn at the samba. he's alright though. or the rants. i don't think anyone should really be too worried, it's just the internet. people may make some stupid statements sometimes but they usually contribute in a good way somehow
Old January 19th 2006, 13:56

personally for me, i do alot of surfing, but not a whole lot of posting. i mean look at my join date - 04 i think... and i've had like 4 posts on here.

i just do alot of reading, learning, and looking... that sort of thing. alot of what i want to know, has been discussed somewhere before. i remember one night, sitting down at the computer while the wife and kids were away, and reading thru, no kidding, 100's of posts and topics over at SBO!

if i cant find the answer after looking myself... yes i do know how to use the search function... THEN i'll post up about it.

i have about 5 forums that i frequent on a daily basis, mainly glazing over the new topics... and when i have time, i dive into the older posts just for the sake of reading things.
Old February 24th 2006, 14:35

allo!

welcome!

pretty sweet to see girls involved too

....i got a job at a body shop yesterday. yes.
Old February 24th 2006, 14:38

...wait... where did she go? that amy supahstah girl? ....that was weird...
Old February 24th 2006, 14:40

haha yeah it just went away......

thanks
Old February 24th 2006, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT
I think that most newbies who may have used other forums as well as this have learned that questions that may have been covered 26 times such as 'How do I put Porsche Brakes on my lawn mower' get flamed by the veterans of the forum. Do that, or see it happen enough and when you join a new forum, you'll probably do more searches instead of asking questions. I believe that really cuts down on the number of posts you see from them.
Kev
I have to agree with Kev, the search function works rather well on this forum.
Old February 24th 2006, 16:22

Searching i would have to agree on aswell, some of the other forums for some reason never come up with decent content in a simple search (a lot of random BS mostly, never even being part of the search words)
The GL search is good!

But yeah, i dont think everyone has the time to always post messages back and forth. and there is a core group for sure. but thats life eh!

Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old February 24th 2006, 19:39

Jeez!

Lazer, Lazer, Lazer,

If you think about it in terms of longevity...I've been on here for what seems like forever and I even lurked a while before I joined. Based on that and the number of posts...well...to me..You're the noob!
hehehe.

Anyway, There's something to be said by not saying anything at all. Sometimes some people flame, give misinformation or even start threads and go on rants having absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the site or the forums...
in...fact...

kinda....

like ...

this one.

Hmmmmmm.