the forums?
the gallery?
the archives?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 2nd 2006, 13:49

the samba in general
Old January 2nd 2006, 22:33

I think the samba is great! lots of info and pics aswell as a great classifieds section. i have not found any really bad traits reguarding the samba... except for the bum seller you somtimes encounter (few and far bettwen though).

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old January 3rd 2006, 01:36

The only thing about the samba is that the rants can be rough to a noob, but you already know that dont you.
Old January 4th 2006, 15:42

I've found the forums to be less than helpful in most cases and seem to be dominated by a few individuals who suffer from "small man" syndrome. For technical info and honest answers without the attitude, this forum rocks!

The classified, photos and links sections are pretty good though, as I purchased my Ghia's through the Samaba as well as a few parts.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Doug
Old January 5th 2006, 03:29

I like the Samba overall but I have had a couple of sellers give me the run around. I needed a set of 1.8L heads so I found a set on the samba, commun icated with the seller, he gave me the total cost, and a address to send the money order. I mailed said money order, then he is nice enough to let me know that he had already sold the heads, wtf!
Old January 6th 2006, 05:50

Since I've mostly used the classifieds. I can only comment on those. I've sold a few parts, and bought a few. My friend has sold a bunch of parts.

Sadly I've had one bad deal, only one. I made a deal to buy a Ghia. I talked to the guy a few times on the phone, told him I was looking for a solid car. I gave a deposit. Then drove 2-300 miles, with a rented truck and trailer to pick it up. It was dark out when I got there, and the car looked Terible, it looked like it had been painted with a roller. Supose to be new paint. and the floor pans. Also said to be new. Looked like the person that put them in had no experiance, and no welder. Rust in no so good places. I looked at the pictures a 100 times. Even talked to the guy. Didn't see anything. After I got back the spots I saw on the real car I could barely see in the pictures, ONLY because I knew they were there. Didn't get the car. The deposit I gave him was more than the car was worth. I think he was asking $2000 or something for it. I saw it later, and he either sold it or kept it. Oh well. Live and learn. Hope this helps.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old January 19th 2006, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVWGL
The only thing about the samba is that the rants can be rough to a noob, but you already know that dont you.
hahah oh no!
to me the samba is cool but it seems like a bunch of conservative narrow-minded old men

hahah it's so funny to think how right everyone seems to think they are
Old January 19th 2006, 00:19

oh, i actually forgot that i bought my bug off the samba. i thought it was going to be in good condition and all, it really looked like it, turns out that it was stored outside in a tent and had lots more rust than expected and it was in a million pieces all just thrown in the car, not much was salvagable even. oh well, i didn't really need it, i don;t know if it was worth the $450 though, maybe 300. what the hell am i complaining about? it's not that bad. point was that it wasn't much at all what i thought it would be
Old January 19th 2006, 00:21

hahaha oh yeah, then you get those people that you buy something from and they put you on their contacts list and solicit jesus and christianity to you. I wanted parts, not religion
Old January 26th 2006, 09:16

Samba is alright, but a bit us know us on the forums...!
Old February 19th 2006, 01:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie S
I've found the forums to be less than helpful in most cases and seem to be dominated by a few individuals who suffer from "small man" syndrome. For technical info and honest answers without the attitude, this forum rocks!
The classified, photos and links sections are pretty good though,
Agreed, TheSamba is a decent resource when it comes to the archives and photos. As for the classifieds...."Caveat Emptor" (Buyer Beware) is heavily cautioned! Apearantly one can polish a turd with a digital camera!
I find their forums to be standoffish, especially to newbies! I've seen all too many times a guy building crap coming down on someone who just has aquestion! As if to say "DUH!!!" And then turn around and blast someone who is working on something a bit unconventional! These guys need to go out to their own garage and look around! Maybe even hook up some decent lighting! The Samba seems to be a "Good ol' Boys" club! But I dig the "Small-Man Syndrome" reference! Totally fits some of those guys!
And I also agree that this forum Rocks!!!
Old April 8th 2006, 01:46

I've been to The Samba a few times, mostly reading no posting. I really haven't seen anybody burn a newb or ask their life story over a tech question or dissmiss a newb because they aren't part of the 'group'. As for the classifieds go, if you buy online you really run the risk, of course that is anywhere these days.