GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 16th 2003, 20:44

I made brackets to bolt the 944 rear anti-roll bar into my notch, then welded them in. The only thing it's missing now is...........ahhhh, more time to enjoy the car before winter sets in!

I'll get some pix of it's suspension on my site someday, dang round tuits.
Old September 17th 2003, 03:33
Superman

I copied my reply to this post on the STF here.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=54973

Quote:
Originally posted by GS guy I gather they are pretty much the same as T1 in dimensions? Are the later aluminum arm bearings bigger/heavier duty? What's the difference between the early steel arm stub axles/bearings and later aluminum arm stub axles and bearings? Are they interchangable? Are the stub axles interchangable, but with maybe different bearing OD sizing from early to late?
The arms are the same dimensions but the 944 does have some design differences, internal reinforcement, although they will interchange. Yes the later aluminum arm bearings and stub axles are bigger. The difference is that they are very much heavier duty but I do not have the exact sizes for you. No the bearings nor the stub axle are interchangeable, between the early and late.

Quote:
Originally posted by GS guy From reading here and elsewhere, it's my understanding that the early 944 stub axles can be directly swapped with T1 (into the T1 diagonal arm and bearings), with the exceptinon of requiring a different CV joint. Or, the whole arm, axle/bearings and all, can be swapped into a IRS rear car. But I'm interested in the bearing dimensions themselves - are the early 944 bearings the same as T1 inside and outside diameter, or maybe larger outside diameter to fit the 944 arms?
The 944 complete trailing arm can be put into the Bug or the 944 stub axle, which is the same as the Type 181 "Thing", can be put into the Bug's trailing arm. Yes, the 944 and Bug bearings are the exact dimensions... in fact they are the same part numbers. The conclusion is that the early steel 944 rear trailing arm is actually just a Bug arm with internal reinforcement, 181 Thing stub axles, and Bug wheel bearings.... even the 944 rear disc emergency brake shoes are Bug drum brake shoes. The 944 is mostly all 113 (Super Beetle) and 171 (Rabbit/Golf I) parts.
Old September 17th 2003, 07:54

Bus stubs are different and will not fit a T1/944 trailing arm. Just the CV flange is the same size as a 944.
Old September 17th 2003, 09:04
Superman

Tom, you are right and I stand corrected. My assumption was going by the part numbers for the wheel bearings but I looked it up and you are correct.

I have edited my post above to omit this error as not to confuse people. Thank you for pointing this out to me.
Old January 11th 2004, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alltypes
...2) The adjustable spring plates from a 944 require a bit of clearance grinding to fit into the torsion housing. Obvious when you have them side by side.
or maybe not so obvious. can someone point this out to me? mine fit in, but take a little persuasion via 4 longer bolts forcing the torsion housing cover to push everything in. not sure this is a good method, but seems to be working. that is until i realized i did not address this step...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Alltypes
...There are two clearance issues that you have to be aware of. The height adjusting bolts on the 944 spring plates are partially hidden by the T1 shock tower but still very useable.
the bolt heads will foul against the shock tower (where the spring plate nestles in over the stop). one fully and the aft just in movement. what have you guys done for this?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 13th 2004, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
even the 944 rear disc emergency brake shoes are Bug drum brake shoes.
Are you able to tell us what year bug is the same as the 944 emergency brake shoes?