GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 25th 2003, 00:51

hi
that chin spoiler is probably better than the one ive pulled of a scrap mk1 5 dr golf c model the spoile you picture is slightly deeper and longer and comes off a mk 1 gti from the picture looks to be a very good fit so that leads me to beleive the one i have will not be as its smaller in every way.

shad with your on off thermostat in your oil system do you find after an oil change you have to get it hot and open up then add oil it would worry me that you have a big gap in oil feed after an oil change and no amount of cranking is gonna get the oil thru your cooler if the thermo is either fully on or off surely like most a very slight flow is allowed thru it to ensure the cooler gets filled?

mfg neil
Old September 25th 2003, 03:15

Hello-

shad with your on off thermostat in your oil system do you find after an oil change you have to get it hot and open up then add oil it would worry me that you have a big gap in oil feed after an oil change and no amount of cranking is gonna get the oil thru your cooler if the thermo is either fully on or off surely like most a very slight flow is allowed thru it to ensure the cooler gets filled?

No, there's no issue... namely because it doesn't quite work that way...

The operation of the thermostat when warm is pretty simple and straightforward: oil is forced from the pump to the cooler, then from the cooler to the filter, then from the filter to the engine. When it's cold, the thermostat simply opens up a bypass around the cooler to the filter. This happens progressively... so around 175ºF-200ºF or so it's part-way open. Once you get colder, the themostat is wide open. Now, oil is allowed to freely bypass the cooler and go straight to the filter.

This may sound like a non-functional thermostat, but look at it again (this would be MUCH easier with a pencil and paper!). Oil coming from the engine is exposed to BOTH the path to and from the cooler... in other words, the oil cooler has an equal oil pressure on either side. This, in effect, makes oil flow zilch. However, it does conveniently make oil changes and air bubbles get taken care of very nicely :-).

[EDIT: I had to remove the ASCII diagram... it didn't come out well, and made no sense.]

Take care,
Shad
Old September 25th 2003, 08:14

The chin spoiler on that '65 is also used to direct air up into the radiator, its wasser powered. It was a feature car in HVWs around 1994.