GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 15th 2006, 14:48

How much exhaust is too much?

Greetings,

I am slowly, ever so slowly, piecing together parts for the Ghia and I am planning to order the exhaust system for the car soon.

I am planning on getting the A1 Sidewinder, as getting a BAS System is just out of the question due to shipping, etc…

The Sidewinder comes in a 1 5/8” and 1 3/4” system (Ceramic coated, of course). I am planning to buy a CB Performance 2,180 (165 Hp) engine for the car with fuel injection (I know, I know, I’ll do a Type 4 in my Ghia hardtop).

Here is the link to the Dyno results for the motor: http://www.cbperformance.com/dyno/dynocharts.html

Do you think the 1 3/4" system be too much exhaust? I haven’t been able to find any specs on the CB Site for a recommended exhaust size for that engine.

Cheers,

Doug

Last edited by Doogie S; March 15th 2006 at 22:02.
Old March 15th 2006, 22:20

Just my 2 cents:

I would go with the 5/8 for better mid rpm torque (more drivability) and with the 3/4 for better top end power. Also port match the flanges to the head and the primary pipes. Keep in mind that the engine you are planning on buying made the firgures posted on the site by utilizing a particular exhaust system (that would include the extractor/ collector). So i think that with an email and some good faith. you might be closer to your answer...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old March 17th 2006, 00:50

beetle1303

I think you were reading my mind. I knew if I thought about it a bit more and did a little research I’d come up with something and your suggestion is just what I was thinking.

I have emailed CB performance to get some feed back on the exhaust system they would recommend for that engine based upon those dyno results. I also did some digging through some back issues (I have about 12 years worth) of Hot VW’s to check out what some of the feature cars had done vs. different engine sizes.

I think through all of that, I am leaning towards the 1 5/8” system, but I will reserve final judgment until I hear back from CB Performance.

On another note, I did get an email from Steven at Serrano's and shipping on the A-1 Sidewinder system to Canada is under $30 bucks.

Cheers,

Doug
Old March 24th 2006, 17:14

1 5/8

1 3/4 would be to big for your engine. 1 3/4 would be more for an engine of 2332+

1957 Rag Top
1970 Std Bettle