GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd 2023, 03:33
Administrator

Hmmm...a little hard to update this from Feb 2021. The car did about 35,000km in 2021. I took it from Vancouver Island to Banff, twice. Did our "Island Adventure" event and a few other events. Then in 2022 we took the car on a road trip to Denver, through Yellowstone National Park. In Colorado we did the Classic Car Adventures Silver Summit, a three day collector car tour. From there I road tripped the car to Ottawa Canada, where I was hosting a Ferrari annual gathering, and then it was to Toronto where we did the Classic Car Adventures Maple Mille...another three day collector car tour. Super rad was getting the car together with my dad's 1979 Beetle. He restored the yellow convertible when I was a kid, doing a full tear-down and restoration. Because I live over 3,500km away on the otherside of the country...we've never had any of our Beetles in the same spot together, until this moment. After he drove the German Look, he pulled back into the driveway and said, "now I understand why you put big motors in these." heh heh.

The car then slept for the winter in Toronto, at Hagerty Garage+Social.

In May of 2023, my buddy brought the car from Toronto to Denver for me, where Taylor (my girlfriend) and I did the Classic Car Adventures Silver Summit once again. This year's event T-Shirt is pretty rad, and I should probably do a second run of them to sell to my VW friends.

And if we happen to run into each other anywhere, be sure to ask me if I have any keychains on me. I made these ones for 2023 as well.

Taylor and I road-tripped the car home from Colorado, back through Yellowstone again...because why not?!

Home at last...

In September Taylor and I took the car down to Portland for the Classic Car Adventures Fall Classic. Because, well, why not? Three days of driving fantastic roads in Oregon. Portland to Bend, Bend to Eugene, and Eugene to McMinnville before we headed home.

Side note: If you can't find your trouble light before leaving the shop...look harder.

We did have one oops while on the Fall Classic. We couldn't avoid some fallen tree debris in a corner...and this is the result. Not going to be easy to repair without paint!

I'm missing a bunch of events, road trips and other news...but the car did roughly another 38,000km in 2023. When in doubt, mile them up! I've got a fairly big list to tackle on the car this winter, but it's mostly minor items or niggly things that I'd like to improve. I installed a Bug-Tech shifter this year, for instance, which meant I had to remove the center console and cup-holders. That is driving me nuts so I need to come up with a cupholder solution. Minor items, but big list.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap