GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 9th 2014, 22:17

Effvee: just chop the the sides of the engine bay, and you'll have all the room in the world![/QUOTE]

Ok, now I can sleep. From what I understand,heads/intake like Remmele and engine plus allows for the adaptation of a 3 liter into super beetle, can anyone confirm this. Question, why did you not go the way of modding your body also?
Old September 9th 2014, 23:32

If it wasn't a GSR/Sports i would cut it up in a heartbeat (I'm not counting the racecar, even though she's a GSR/Sports too, shh!). I put a lot of money into the restoration of the GSR to be my dream pro-tourer, classic, super mountain slayer, I just couldn't cut the body even for the expensive race motor.
Old September 10th 2014, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
If it wasn't a GSR/Sports i would cut it up in a heartbeat (I'm not counting the racecar, even though she's a GSR/Sports too, shh!). I put a lot of money into the restoration of the GSR to be my dream pro-tourer, classic, super mountain slayer, I just couldn't cut the body even for the expensive race motor.
Understood, please forgive my ignorance; what constitutes a GSR/sport?
Old September 11th 2014, 00:56

the GSR or gelb schwartzer renner was a special edition super beetle in '73. In Germany it was saturn yellow or marathon blue metallic with a matte black hood and decklid, all black trim etc (until the lines ran out) with special recaro seats and sports steering wheel. They didn't think the color combo would sell as well in the states so the US got single color cars, the Sports Bug Edition, with optional dealer installed sport stripes down the belt line. These colors were only ever available on the bug in 1973 on the sports bug, and they were the only models to ever get the recaro seats. It's estimated that ~2000 were made for Europe and ~4000-5000 were made for the US.

In Germany there was an outrage over the little hellian, rabble rouser beetle. In Europe the cars came with a list of up-fitters/shops that would upgrade the motor which flew in the face of the gas crisis at the time. So much so, that there was talk in the German Parliament about issuing penalties to VW for encouraging gas-wasting driving habits with a sporty beetle. The US on the other hand mostly yawned, and the Sports Bug was over looked for the last gasp muscle cars of the day. It's estimated that there are probably less than 500 GSR's left in the world in working order.

The more you know ,~"'`'*
Old September 11th 2014, 08:49

Thank you, didn't know that.