GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 7th 2011, 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Unfortunately, no such luck today: But 398 hp and climbing at 1.3 bar
Good Effort Do you have any dyno or track/ 1/4mile times from before you did anything? Would love to see the complete difference in performance from a stocker.
Old February 7th 2011, 05:01

Quote:
I have found the cause: my feed pump wasn't running well and I got stranded because it didn't run at that moment at all anymore!
Logical that when you have no fuel anymore, the engine dies out...duh!

I had a spare 944 pump I switched over and it started cold immediately again :mrgreen:
Pffft!
I left the fuel pressure to 60 psi, so according to the flow sheet that should give me 1180 cc, which should be enough anyways. Just need to re-map the fuel map but thats no biggie.

Very glad it was something this simple, but scary as it could have ended far worse. Amazingly and fortunately the engine held...
Hi,

I'm far from your level of power but running an EFI also and I recently had fuel delivery issues... It had nothing to do with the pump but by testing, I was amazed at how long the engine keeps running with the pump unplugged...
I've therefore decided to play it safe, always have a second pump in place, in case the first one lets go far from home...

Hope yours holds from now on...

And if I may add, you're car and its engine and quite amazing... and every time I recieve the "Post update", I just can't help thinking : What if I added even a small turbo to my 2007...

Sebastien
Old February 7th 2011, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourtaud View Post
... What if I added even a small turbo to my 2007...

Sebastien
Thanks Seb, but ^^thats what the tricky side of it is: people think adding a 'small turbo' gives only a little more hp, so its probably not so hard on the engine...
However, thats where you would go wrong! The smaller the turbo, the larger the exhaust restriction, the higher the Back Pressure in the exhaust, the higher your exhaust gas temperatures, the sooner you have knock and temperature related exhaust valve and valve seat problems.

IF your adding a turbo, use a large one with respect to your engine size and more specifically: also one with a relatively large turbine wheel compared to the compressor wheel.
Thats what I love about the Borg-Warners: their compressor-turbine wheel ratio is larger towards the turbine side compared to Garrett turbo's, which lowers back-pressure and increases efficiency.
Old February 7th 2011, 10:16

I guess You have expectations from your engine. How much power You think it can handle and where's the limit?
Old February 7th 2011, 10:57
Administrator

When I first read that the injectors were at 100%, 1.3 bar, 398hp I was thinking something was not right.

Glad to hear it was a minor problem and the engine was not damaged from the feeder fuel pump failure.

Sandeep
Old February 7th 2011, 12:14

Yeah, it didn't quite add up to me either tbh, but if you see 100% IDC in the datalog, my first reaction was: injector too small.
I actually learn something everytime I visit the dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX67 View Post
I guess You have expectations from your engine. How much power You think it can handle and where's the limit?

1,21 GigaWatts (you have to be a little bit old(er) to get that one I'am afraid...)
Old February 7th 2011, 13:53

Just make sure your flux compensator is in tact lol
Old February 7th 2011, 14:21

Quote:
1,21 GigaWatts (you have to be a little bit old(er) to get that one I'am afraid...)
Old February 7th 2011, 15:26

Haha!

I really dunno MX67 where the limit of what component truly is.
You have to understand that this set-up was really meant just to be similar or slightly better then the 220hp n/a 2,7 ltr engine its partly damaged parts came from. That 220 goal was very easily reached and now we're approaching almost double that! So the turbocharging concept has really surprised me and quickly made me realise how much potential it has. I always thought a type 4 would be very suitable for a turbo due to the inherent strength and better cooling possibilities, but now I am at a point where I really don't seem to know anymore where it stops.
That alone is very exiting and makes me very enthousiastic to explore whats ultimately possible.
It also means I really really have no idea where the limit is. The turbo has a theoretical hp potential at about 700-720 if it was used on an Evo at 30-35 psi. At least thats my guesstimate with what it flows. So there's no limit there. All inlet and exhaust restrictions on my engine are non-exitent anymore with the latest updates. So, the only restriction imo at the moment is the cam with its relatively low lift and duration.
Still, if you see how power still seems to want to climb past 7K, it isn't that bad . The 114LC makes it a wide powerband and you see and feel that.
If you see that 0.3 bar more boost made 50 additional hp, maybe more (60?) if fuel had kept flowing, then 1.6 bar could bring ~450-460 hp... Not clear what will break first if anything, or when the mild cam will hinder flow to choke point.
The potential is surely there, thats also what makes it so exiting imo.

You're old too Mark!

Last edited by Wally; February 7th 2011 at 15:52.
Old February 7th 2011, 16:48

Officially satisfied with the answer.

You must know that answers like this make rest of us going on and being more entusiastic, that's why I/we maybe sometimes bore You with questions...

I've never seen so impressive AC engine and I'm going Type 4 because of your Bug. Beer's on me when I see You somewhere arround

and hoping for a taxi ride
Old February 7th 2011, 16:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Just make sure your flux compensator is in tact lol
LOL !

Its actually the Flux Capacitor, for the record Great series BTW.

Sandeep
Old February 8th 2011, 02:18

Hi Wally

What type of pump were you using as a feed pump? By feed pump is that the lift pump to the swirl pot?

Steve
Old February 8th 2011, 03:18

Just a regular Bosch pump from a 3ltr or 3,2ltr 911.
Yes, its used as a lift pump to feed the 'swirl pot' or 'catch can' or whatever people call it, so I can still take corners after the tank is half empty.
The fact that its a pressure pump is not the reason it failed imo if thats what your thinking: it made gurgling noises when I used it as a pressure pump before already, but it always had done that. Since it never skipped a beat, I paid no attention to it, but that probably was a sign after all.
Old February 8th 2011, 04:55

Do you have the feed pump inline with the rest i.e tank-> feed pump -> catchcan -> Bosch pump , or does it have a seperate line from the tank into the catch can? The reason I´m asking is,I´ve seen a race car where the catch can had 2 inlets: one from the tank and one from the feed pump and it confused me why he did that..
Old February 8th 2011, 05:56

are you sure that inlet from the tank wasn't in fact a return -outlet- back to the tank from the catch can?