PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injection or Carbs?

i heart vw
December 20th 2002, 02:22
I'm in the market for a type 4 motor and have one in my sites...it has carbs, but i'm thinking about putting a turbo on it...is FI with mods to it, better then a carburated motor when i comes to turbos? and where can i buy FI parts and Remmele parts...

Martice
December 20th 2002, 11:51
Hi,

In my opinion CIS is the way to go.(I am telling you this because that is what I am doing right now:) after a long research )
If you find a Turbo CIS (from Volvo, Saab, etc) that will match you CCs its even better and should work well.

People say that 'if you want to go turbo go t1' if I tell you that a friend has build an over 160hp 2L Turbo CIS street engine(low boost) with all stock type4 components that means that t4 can be turboed with little problem.I've not done it yet.

What I do like about the dual carbs is the Looks! and the SOUND! with FI, even with a full flow air intake system(K&N) the sound is not the same...neither the pure boxer look...

When it comes to power, opinions are various about CIS and dual carbs.You will never know for sure until you test them on your own engine. Thats my opinion.. :)

Try www.cbperformance.com for NEW vw turbo FI parts.

good luck!

Martin

Pillow
December 20th 2002, 14:09
I think what Martin meant to spell is CIS. Which is Bosch K-Jetronic. A lot of Turbo Saabs ran this as well as early 911 Turbos and in general is a great FI to Turbo charge.

The problem is with the large fuel/air metering box.

Check this out:
http://www.sandrail.com/millerfi/

On my bus I will run CIS FI based off a Beetle FI L-Jet system converted to CIS. Using some Miller parts that I cannot make at home.

For a Beetle I might experiment with Motronic system. Using CB Performance FI intake manifolds. The problem is still getting a air meter mounted somewhere under the deck lid... Alternatives might be to cut a hole for the meter in the fire wall and mount it behind the back seat? Drastic but would work.

Martice
December 20th 2002, 14:48
Yes Pillow Its CIS, dont know what I was thinking...:)
It all deppends on how much manufacturing are you able do do and how much time you have.
The K-jetronic its a challange for me carbs are alot easyer to install.

If you want to turbo carbs and if you do not want to spend a small fortune on cb parts, there is allways the draw-trough turbo system using a sidedraft carb(DHLA or DCOE) witch is the most common method.
I do not know about home made blow-throu dual carbs turbo systems, but I've seen that people are experiecing problems with the carbs leaking.

And yes space its a very important matter!(I mean engine compartiment space :) not space-the final frontier :))

zen
December 20th 2002, 15:45
Originally posted by Pillow
On my bus I will run CIS FI based off a Beetle FI L-Jet system converted to CIS. Using some Miller parts that I cannot make at home.

For a Beetle I might experiment with Motronic system. Using CB Performance FI intake manifolds. The problem is still getting a air meter mounted somewhere under the deck lid... Alternatives might be to cut a hole for the meter in the fire wall and mount it behind the back seat? Drastic but would work.

adrian, i have the complete FI system off of my GA engine if you are interested. let me know. i may want some 944 brake stuff for the future (can't believe i am already thinking of upgrading the brakes and the ones i have have not even seen fluid yet). let me know.

Pillow
December 20th 2002, 16:20
Hey Zen, Thanks for the offer, but I already have a complete D-Jet system sitting aroung collecting dust as it is. Most likely for a Beetle FI system I would try a GM or Bosch Motronic setup because of the newer parts and features. Lambda sensors are not that bad... Sometimes.

Take Care,

i heart vw
December 20th 2002, 18:11
if i went with a CIS system from a volvo or saab would it be hard to put on the engine (injectors and all that fun stuff)?...a little off the subject but what does the interior of a GL car look like?

thanks for the help...tim

SPEEDY57TUB
December 20th 2002, 18:28
:D CIS=Continuous Injection System :D

Martice
December 21st 2002, 05:37
Originally posted by i heart vw
if i went with a CIS system from a volvo or saab would it be hard to put on the engine (injectors and all that fun stuff)?

If you understand the k-jetronic system, if you can drill some holes, weld some pipes should be no problem. :silly:
I'll start a full work at the end of January for my CIS sys.
You can start by buying the Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management from Amazon.com(its about $20).