PDA

View Full Version : intake help?

rip
December 22nd 2002, 18:04
Hows it going, got a 914 long block on the way, which was stock a FI engine, right? And I want to run carbs. I understand that FI has many benefits, and don't want to turn this into a carb vs EFI topic. The deal is that carbs are less complex, and I want to learn about carbs and get them to work well before I even consider EFI. May be in the future, but EFI systems are a hell of a lot more money and more complex. So here's the question.

What do I need to do to make a 914 2.0l engine run carbs?

I've heard somthing about needing to change the cam to a carb styled cam duration. But what about things like the heads are they're any other modifications needed to convert a type IV FI to a carbed engine? Thanks for the help.

Rip

kdanie
December 22nd 2002, 20:42
Rip,
It's easy, buy some carbs/manifolds/linkage and go for it. Changes to the cam or heads are not needed. Is this engine going into a 914 or a VW (if so, what model)?
ken

JohnConnolly
December 22nd 2002, 22:09
You need a good carb kit, I only recommend duals since all single (centermount) applications don't have adequate manifold heat.

A good kit will be jetted close (they are NOT jetted properly as supplied by weber), you'll also need a low pressure fuel pump (3-3.5psi), and the most overlooked part of the conversion is different spark plugs. The FI plugs are 1 step colder then carbed, and they routinely foul when you add carbs, so change to carb heat range plugs to minimize this headache.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

rip
December 23rd 2002, 04:14
okay so nothing serious to get running, thanks

kdanie, I willing be putting it into my '63 bug.

and sort of on a different subject, but can type 1 parts be used in a type IV if so what? I see that type 1's have a large aftermarket but what of the type IVs. Where can I find performance parts like counterwieghted cranks, cam, oil pumps, and rods? And, because I will be dealing with a 914 motor, will that cause any difficulty in finding peformance stuff, will I have to deal with porsche or is the 914 still a VW? Thanks

kdanie
December 23rd 2002, 12:59
I can't think of any type 1 parts that will transfer to a stock type 4. High performance type 4 engines often use type 1 rods and oil pumps, both take modifications. Some people also use 94mm type 1 stroker pistons in type 4s but still takes mods. There is plenty of type 4 high performance stuff available but it costs more $$.
Your next decision needs to be the cooling system. Stock type 4 cooling will not fit in a type 1 without hacking the body work.
Do you plan on taking your short block apart and building a high performance engine or just bolting on parts?
ken

rip
December 23rd 2002, 14:20
Originally posted by kdanie
Your next decision needs to be the cooling system. Stock type 4 cooling will not fit in a type 1 without hacking the body work.

Do you plan on taking your short block apart and building a high performance engine or just bolting on parts?
ken

Well as for now the high performance thing is not possible $$$. So I hope to do a rebuild and maybe later one see if I can do a high performance motor.

But, about the cooling system, what are you talking about? I was sort of under the impression that the type IV motor with other than midifcations to the flwheel and clutch you can simpliy fit it to a type 1 tranny and get some sort of engine tine and your done. Is there something else? Thanks