PDA

View Full Version : Type IV + Heat?

craigt-from-atl
January 20th 2003, 10:18
Are you guys running heat with your Type IVs? Is this even an option in a Type I?

My last beetle didn't have heat, and this would be a nice feature for when it gets nippy outside.

Thanks.

-Craig

Wally
January 20th 2003, 10:43
In my last engine (1995 cc T4 with 44/38 valves, 'H' grind cam) I had shortened VW411/412 heater boxes, connected to the porsche shroud and ducted into the original bug pipes and all, with a BAS 4 in 1 header (this is a 40 mm diameter) and dual BAS silencers.
This worked pretty well. Didn't feel like it restricted the top revs at all (5950 revs in 4th with 3,875 differential and 0,93 4th gear: i.e. a stock 1303S 'AT' trans and 225/50/16 tires).

For my new engine, I will use no heater boxes, but just a header (BAS 42 mm diameter stainless) and same (now also SS) silencers, but with a 'Eberspracher BN4 standheizung' = small aftermarket gasheater with timer (also sold for use in other cars). I still have to install this, but it have to find a smart place for it. Maybe adjacent to the battery location).

Hope you get the ideas rolling for yourself as well.
Good luck,
Walter

samcat
January 20th 2003, 12:53
I have LOTS of lovely heat :D and a 2L t4 motor... :cool:
I can even have the heat on before I start my engine :)

The answer is an Eberspacher. its a petrol fired cab heater... LOTS of heat. Gonna get the remote control option for it before next winter, look out the window in the morning... Cars frosty... Push a button on the remote and the heater fires up for 10 mins... Thermostat controlled so it wont get too hot :D

Cya,
Sam C

cnavarro
January 20th 2003, 19:46
If you're building a fairly mild engine, a set of heater boxes off of a 411 or 412 would provide some heat and shouldn't hurt performance too much.

If you need a set, I've got some better than new ones :-)

Charles

eddie71sbT4_2.6
January 22nd 2003, 04:40
Charles, those 411/412 heater boxes would be considered pre-heaters for the original gas heater in those cars. Would that be correct??. I bought from a local Pick Your Part a set of those boxes, but the surrounding tin on those was destroyed by rust. If I were to recreate that sheet metal enclosure, do you think that here in California it would be a sufficient heat source??.

Thanks,

Eddie.

cnavarro
January 22nd 2003, 09:48
Most definately! Shad was running those "pre-heaters" only on his ghia and was more than sufficient except on chilly IL days :-)

Charles