PDA

View Full Version : value of used 911 alternator & fan assemblies ?

Jim Andritsakos
January 29th 2003, 16:00
I would like to hear for how much you have found used Porsche
911 fan/alternator asseblies ??

Your input is that count!

vujade
January 29th 2003, 17:00
I got my 11 blade fan & 70 amp alternator for $250 US
it came with a new voltage regulator & an extra 5 blade fan

Sandeep
January 29th 2003, 18:02
I got mine for $250 USD too. 11 blade fan (no chips), flawless shroud and a 55 amp alternator. The whole unit was very clean.

Sandeep

kdanie
January 29th 2003, 18:24
I think I have about $280 into mine without the regulator.
ken

Wally
January 30th 2003, 03:28
Prices here range from € 250- € 500,-- ,if you can still find them. They are getting scarce for 911 owners as well.
Walter

SPEEDY57TUB
January 31st 2003, 13:14
:) I've gotten several at prices ranging from $150-$350. The cheaper sometimes have the older lower output alternators and the condition of the parts can be questionable. The higher are usually newer rebuilt or new alternators, fans in great condition, and since the assemblies are newer, the rings are usually in better condition. I have compiled a few rings and parts in the past three years and I have noticed the trends regarding prices and conditions.:D

zen
February 3rd 2003, 19:37
$300 for an 11-blade, housing, and 55-amp alt. add $100 for powder coating.

verbeekb
February 13th 2003, 15:10
For comparison, my new '89 Turbo ring, fan, alternator, pulley and shims were (from the top of my head) around $1475 before taxes and discount from Porsche. I am addicted to virgin parts for my projects, in this case I should add that the new parts do need further finishing like powdercoating or polishing just as much as the used units.

Brian

Wally
February 14th 2003, 03:38
Brian,
Isn't the '89 model fan/alternator the big 114Amp, deep (twice as deep as a, say '76 model, 901 part#), bigger radius: 275 mm diameter(or so) part with split axes for seperate fan and alternator drive (two pulleys)?
Would you use this fan/alternator? If so what would you modify for an upright conversion?

verbeekb
February 14th 2003, 09:44
Wally,

The '89 Turbo is still the early style with aluminum bumpers, not the 964 Carrera 2/4. The alternator is 90-A and has the 6 stud pattern to mount in the fan ring. The fan ring is also the pre-964 style, the latest version of the early design so to speak. It does not have the dual drive and it also doesn't have the little front fan that the 964 (and up) and 959 have. I am going to use the '89 unit in unmodified form with a Sharpbuilt conversion.

Brian

Martice
February 14th 2003, 09:47
Off-topic:
Form what I understand most new 911 fan Kits(for beetle conversion) have vw Golf alternators...Istn't it possible to buy a used 911 fan only, use a cheap Golf alternator(btw: does it work?) and machine the outer fan ring yourself?

This way you can do a 911 fan conversion with a "normal" affordable cost. :)

:confused:

kdanie
February 14th 2003, 15:04
Martin, I understand the Golf alternator housing must be machined to work with the Porsche fan ring. I'm sure a good machinest should be able to figure it out.
ken

Martice
February 14th 2003, 15:14
hmm...Its an idea I could afford.Thanks!

Now, what may be the value of 911 fan only, without alternator? :)

verbeekb
February 14th 2003, 17:00
I should have known this. I sold three Genuine Porsche Austausch Motorola alternators for $700 outright somewhere in November, they'd been sitting on the shelves for way too long. Three for less than the price of two., 'new' in box.

I don't think that grafting a non-Porsche alternator into a Porsche fan/ring combo would really save a lot of money on a one off basis, I am affraid it would be more expensive even, unless you can do the machining yourself. Then you still have to fit an adjustable pulley, and the bearing problem comes to mind, the Porsche alternator was designed with the thrust loads of the fan in mind, the 3.2 Carrera pushing 1500 L/sec @ 6000 RPM (source: Porsche factory workshop manuals), that's really a whole lot. The Porsche units shouldn't be so hard to find, there are many engine upgrades in the Porsche world and just the pre 3.0 engines are getting really tired by now, just be persistent, the guy selling you used Porsche parts doesn't show you his stash, but really, 944 trailing arms for instance, I've seen them stacked up to the roof and they're rarely needed by 944 owners, just think of it, when was the last time you needed to replace an IRS arm on a Bug? The alloy arms do break from time to time, but the demand is really not high. A lot of the parts that we use on VWs are not in high demand, the early 944 brakes as well, I know two used Porsche parts places that won't even drive up to pick up a 924 or early 944 for free. A friendly approach to these guys can do a lot.

erh .. I hope it helps :)

Brian

vujade
February 14th 2003, 17:12
Martice

I have a 5 blade 911 fan I can sell you or maybe sway for one of your spoilers?

Let me know
thanks
Joe

NO_H2O
February 16th 2003, 19:53
I thought you was going to sell it to me.:D

Martice
February 17th 2003, 04:31
Originally posted by NO_H2O
I thought you was going to sell it to me.:D

:p Too late...Just kidding. :)

petevw
February 17th 2003, 23:59
fan/ring/alternator assembly------$140can used from a guy who had it kicking around in his shop

later,
pete

Martice
February 18th 2003, 03:35
Thats a sweet deal!

factman
February 19th 2003, 04:04
actually i read that the porsche alternator has a special thrust bearing to keep the pulling forces of the fan from wearing out the bearings in a hurry. people have done this conversion using the Golf alternator but what i read is that the alternator bearings go out in a hurry and are not the the hassle.