PDA

View Full Version : Oil filler tube

Sandeep
January 31st 2003, 17:13
Question.

I have a 914 case with FAT 911 cooling on a 2.0 GA engine. I was replacing the oil temp sender with the VDO unit to match my oil temp gauge and this is what I saw.

There is a boss for an oil filler tube that is closed off (Cast Over). When I have the 'Taco Plate' removed, I could put my hand in the opening and feel behind this boss.

Does this mean that I can drill out this area and catch all of the filings without splitting the case ? I could then install the studs for the oil filler tube with integrated dipstick.

This oil filler tube would transfer over to my NOS T4 case when I get the 2270CC built.

If I can do this then filling the oil with the FAT 911 Cooling system could be done through this tube and another problem would be solved.

Thoughts ? Thanks for any input !

Sandeep

kdanie
January 31st 2003, 17:30
I don't know about doing it with the engine assembled but that's what I did to my case for the fill tube in my CIP shroud kit. I drilled it with a 1/2" drill then used a rotary file in my die grinder, didn't take too long. I had to drill and tap 1 bolt hole for the fill tube.
ken

Pillow
February 2nd 2003, 00:09
Yup. It could be done that way.

I just have concern on drilling and being able to get all the shavings out properly.

zen
February 3rd 2003, 19:35
hey sandeep,

since i get to go through the same thing, can you clarify where you are talking about. not sure i've got it.

Alex
February 3rd 2003, 19:39
Look at pic #7 on the first page of the engine gallery. You see the oil filler tube and where it attaches on to the case. There might be better pics in the gallery but it should give you a good indication for what to look for.

Alex

zen
February 3rd 2003, 19:52
i thought that was where he was talking about. FAT tells me it can be done, but there is a huge risk of shavings. i have also seen them mate a oil filler to a valve cover. that was for a 914 though. not sure how much room there is in a bug for that.

i was also thinking about running a 45 degree fitting to the tower for a breather and using that for filling. with the right funnel and patience, it should work.