PDA

View Full Version : A Beetle as a daily driver, some questions...

BeetleTwinTurbo
February 6th 2003, 16:42
Hey there.

I have a 1970 GL project that i'm working on, but thats the project.....

Soon, i'll be getting the R32 when it comes to america. This car is gonna be INSANE. I really dont want to drive it year round, so I'm thinking about getting a secondary car, to take me back and forth to school in the winters....

Those of you that do drive your bug everyday, how does it hold up to traffic, what do people say to you about you driving a bug? Do they make any comments, good or bad? What about safety, are they at least half way safe?

any or all answers to these questions would be great.

Thanx in advance

kdanie
February 6th 2003, 17:30
I drive my '68 bug every day, it needs fewer repairs than my wifes Plymouth voyager!!

Safety? Way back when I was in college I saw an early '70s Mustang fastback have a head on with a late '60s bug at about 30 mph (they were on the brakes when they hit). The Mustang went home on a hook, the owner of the bug pulled the fenders of the tires and drove home! Would I want to experience that in my bug? No Way!! Use some common sense and you will be fine. Oh yeah, get some disk brakes on it-I find the stockers marginal at best, even freshly rebuilt.

There are about two dozen bugs used as daily drivers in my town of about 50,000. There are so many that they don't even wave at each other.....or at least me.....could be because my daily driver is the second ugliest bug in the area!! Maybe they will be nicer when my stealth GL project is done.

ken

chigger
February 7th 2003, 22:56
I have been driving a stock one everyday for the last 6 years. Disk brakes definately help the everday drivability. I can keep up with traffic quite well at least to 70 then the front end tends to get light. I can out run some of the current econo boxes. They are very safe untill you hit something or it hits you. They were one of the first cars with controlled crush where the collapse of the body absorbed energy. I don't know if this was on purpose. While they have good survivability the frame is often destroyed. So it is best to avoid them if you like your bug.