PDA

View Full Version : Front mounted Oil Cooler

yetibone
February 9th 2003, 10:13
I am mounting an oil cooler in the front of Hummbug, behind the little grille under the bumper. I saw a picture of a Remmele Beetle in VWT and liked the idea. (the green one) Ours won't be as trick as that for fear of curb damage and stuff. It will be hidden pretty well where the front inpact absorption thing used to be.
My question is about getting the oil to the cooler and back. Will a "garden variety" hign volume Melling oil pump work? (that's what I have now) Is there anything special needed to keep oil pressure up after sending the oil that distance before it gets to the pressure control valve?

Yetibone

P.S.
It's a T1 oil pump on a T1 engine.

Oliver Knuf
February 10th 2003, 04:41
The front oilcoolers, that were commonly used on German roads came either from AKG (handmade thick aluminum, reeeaaaaaally good quality) or from the Mercedes Benz (called Behr, ok, cheap but also good). We use 12mm (1/2" inner diameter) hoses to and from the cooler, together with either standard Type 4 pumps or HD Schadek/Melling units, that were blueprinted. A second oil piston pressure spring is used, on old Type 4 cases, the small front spring is exchanged with a HD unit. Type 1'e were equipped with two inner springs! They look pretty the same like the emergency brake spring inside the e-brake, but they are way harder! As we use on-block thermostatic units, the pressure srop, when the control is fully opened is high, so the second springs set the oil pressure up to a higher, more constant level! You'll come to similar problems with in-line thermostaitic units. That's it!

yetibone
February 10th 2003, 21:43
Oliver,
Thanks for the helpful info on coolers. Most of the good ones in the u.s. came on Volvos, Saabs, Mazdas, Mercedes, etc. My temporary cooler is probably one from Bugpack. I dunno... I found it at work and recognized it as one like I had on a sandrail buggy a few years ago. Anyhow, I agree with the thermostatic bypass design. I would have to engineer some more plumbing for a proper one, controlled by engine heat.

My greatest concern was the pumps ability to deliver the engine oil thru the filter, then 7 feet of 1/2 tubing, then the cooler, THEN, another 9 feet of tubing before it gets to the main oil gallery. The pump I have is almost twice the size of an OEM part. I don't know the manufacturer though.

I remembered that its easier for a pump to push fluid, than it is for a pump to pull fluid, so I don't think oil pressure, and volume will be compromised.

Yetibone