PDA

View Full Version : type III

tryan
February 11th 2003, 23:09
i am going to start on a notchback. this months vw trends had a type IV with some home made injection. has anybody stuffed anything wild under the deck of a type III?

Wally
February 12th 2003, 03:11
Hi,
I've had a '73 squareback and put a tuned 2,0 ltr type 4 with 914 2,0 ltr heads and pistons, street cam in it. Stock cooling and exhaust, with 40 DLRA's, shortened intake manifolds and really short K&N air filters. Had still to lower the rear engine mount (custum anyway) a bit, but it didn't stick out at all. Then the decklid closed nicely and it all looked stock-ish...
In a notchback, there is theoretically much more room if you don't mind modifying the deck lid. In a square, you usually want to retain the floor space flat.
Good luck,
Walter

Shad Laws
February 12th 2003, 03:44
Hello-

i am going to start on a notchback. this months vw trends had a type IV with some home made injection. has anybody stuffed anything wild under the deck of a type III?

I have a 220hp 2615cc T4 engine with our Nickies cylinders (Set number one, actually :-), a Tangerine Racing Exhaust System, a one-off FI system (resonance-tuned intake system), and many other goodies. It helps my little '72 Fasty win high speed races with new Corvettes :-).

I'm actually taking the engine out soon (and putting it in Charles Navarro's Squareback), replacing the tranny with a 923 (similar to 915) unit, then building a new 2716cc T4 engine with our new cylinder heads, good for over 350hp. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all that power :-).

Take care,

tryan
February 12th 2003, 09:08
thanks guys. i will follow the links on the fi for the flat4 thread. what ever happened to 411's and 412's? that would probably be a good starting point. cis kinda sucks using a decent cam.

i may just enclose the engine bay and stick the mfi 2.4 t motor out of the 911.

shad and wally. post some pics of your motors!

Wally
February 12th 2003, 10:24
Tryan,
Sorry, sold the squareback long time ago!
Walter