PDA

View Full Version : 44 DCNF Good or Bad

PapaG
February 21st 2003, 16:13
I am going to put a Porsche 914 2.0l engine in my Type 3 squareback. I have the the options of buying a set of 44 DCNF's that have been rebuilt with short manifolds, throttle linkage, and air cleaners.
I have heard conflicting information on this carb. Some say it is a junky carb, don't bother as they flood on sharp turns, boil out the fuel when you stop the engine and other info like this.
The other side is these are great carbs and they will fit under the engine cover.

Help me decide

Thanks
Richard

cnavarro
February 21st 2003, 16:50
Richard,

Gene Berg sells an updated float I have been told that eliminates the overflow problem. You might just want to give them a ring and ask them how much all the "updates" would run you.

Charles

Farmer
February 21st 2003, 17:46
Yes that problem can be fixed, and then it is a great carb.

PapaG
February 21st 2003, 18:02
These carbs have the "Berg" modifactions already done.
Any other conserns? How about the boiling out of the fuel?

cnavarro
February 21st 2003, 18:15
We never had any boiling problems, but then again, we used the carbs only in the winter, but I hardly think outside temperature would really matter.

-Charles

PapaG
February 21st 2003, 18:23
BUSTED!!!!

FYI I am getting them from Charles :D

It gets a litle warm in Texas... We wont talk about the rain right now.:broken:

I was wondering about making a heat shield for them. That might help. You know us southern boys, we can't leave anything alone. :silly:

cnavarro
February 21st 2003, 18:41
Busted! :-)

I wish I had known of some of these modifications that have been posted in the last week or so- it would have made using them much more pleasant. Live and learn I guess.

-Charles