PDA

View Full Version : turbo type 4

deutschlooker
August 16th 2002, 02:06
I was wondering if turbocharging a type 4 motor would be easier if I added an EFI system or if I kept with the carbs

Oliver Knuf
August 16th 2002, 03:35
Good question, anybody out, who has more experience with Turbo and injection? For my part, I can only say, that carbs work well, as long as they are adjusted properly and have no dirt inside. That would be the main reasons to go over to an injection system. Maybe another important point is, that you can get a much better overlook over your air/fuel mixture and you can richen your powerband at the correct timepoints. Hope, you can understand, what I mean!

lightning bug
August 16th 2002, 22:31
I think FI is more reliable, especially for a Turbo setup. You definitely don't want an overlean condition. I see more and more Turbo cars switching to EFI for tunability and reliability. That's why I did it. The turbo cars at the track with carbs (that I see anyway) are breaking or malfunctioning more than the EFI cars. I will probably never go back to carbs. Just my opinion and preference. Also my EFI system also has ignition control so it automatically retards your ignition under boost and is programmable.

deutschlooker
August 17th 2002, 13:18
what are some EFI/Ignition systems that you might suggest I use for a 2.3l type IV engine that might go turbo one day?

Crimson_Axe
August 18th 2002, 01:46
The Autronic system is a nice setup - depending on your needs check out their website:

smc or the smc2
http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/autronic.html

you can get the system from www.aircooled.net

lightning bug
August 18th 2002, 13:05
I like the SDS because its compatible with almost anything. If you're N/A now and switch to a turbo, allyou do is change the Map sensor. You're probably better off going with the DIS option or run an MSD box. SDS is also nice b/c you don't need a laptop to program. You program from the compact programmer they provide. Also its a simple install. Take a look. www.sdsefi.com I bought it cheaper from my engine builder, also an SDS dealer. I can help you if you're interested. Good Luck!

stkmtr
August 19th 2002, 13:52
I got my first feel of a aftermarket FI this weekend. This was a motor that did not like traffic-fk87 2007 with ports I can almost fit a fist in. The FI conversion made it liveable which was unbelievable for us that rode/drove it before. I am starting a FI piggybank that I'll be hiding from the better half. -its nice to see some familiar names-SS

lightning bug
August 19th 2002, 17:23
NICE!!! Its always good to have a stash "piggybank" for the toys. A man's gotta live too.:D