PDA

View Full Version : Of Turbos and Type 4's...

TitoRay
February 25th 2003, 14:55
From what I understand there is no turbocharger setup "on the market" for a TIV. So, a few questions...

I want to turbocharge a 1.8 liter TIV engine so, the easiest way would be to have someone create something for me, for a price of course;). I have a very limited supply of tools, no access to welding, etc. so I kinda have to go this route...
But most importantly, is this feasible? Is it possible to have a system that fits under the decklid of a bug? Any info would help...I'll be searching!:cool:

lightning bug
February 25th 2003, 17:30
Here's what my set-up will basically look like minus the twin TB's (I'm using a single). Still researching the hideaway header also. Mine's also a T1. This will fit under a closed decklid. I've also seen custom set-ups that fit too. Using the Porsche style shroud will give more room also. That's one of the main reason's I'm using it. Chek out the Forced induction forum on the STF. I think the search is down but scroll through the pages. I'm sure you'll find some info.

TitoRay
February 26th 2003, 02:52
I looked around and nobody really gives any details and I don't want to ask because the people there, well, most of them kinda scare me!:D
Maybe I will just ask Mr. Raby if we can work something out?
In the end, I would prefer to send all of the parts to someone and have them install it, set it up, test, etc. And send it to someone who knows what they are doing. I don't trust myself at all for I am not as savvy as I should be.;)

lightning bug
February 26th 2003, 17:57
You're right. There are guys there that have their own little gangs. They feel you should know everything. But there are some guys that will help. If I may add my opinion....... Stay away from carbs. Get an EFI system and if $$$ permits, invest in engine management. Alot of people are afraid of this but your engine will thank you. EFI is far more reliable with a turbo set-up. Keep your static compression low, you really dont need much headwork, no need for a big cam or even big displacement to get big #'s. I've seen T1 1914's getting over 200HP and fully streetable. And calculate your turbo's efficiency. This is very important. Efficiency plays a big part in turbocharging. Good Luck!!! ARTIFICIAL ASPIRATION ROCKS!!! :D

Massive Type IV
February 26th 2003, 19:47
I have been looking for a customer with high hopes that would be willing to order a prototype engine with a Turbo such as you speak of.

Taking delivery of a prototype is different than being a normal customer of mine, the process is longer and can be hard to keep up with. My budget will not allow me to spend mega bucks on R&D of a set up like this without it being sold to a customer upon it being proven.

I normally do not sell any engine unless I have first built one for myself, this would be a fun project, but anticipate it being far from cheap especially since EFI and management would be a necessity for me to attempt it.

I'm interested!

TitoRay
February 26th 2003, 21:36
This is good!:D To be honest, I am not looking for anything crazy. Just a turbocharged 1.8 liter engine. Maybe with some headwork, basic reinforcing of the internals, etc. I am not too knowledgeable on the entire subject so maybe I should ask if it is even worth the effort and money. :confused: Having an engine built by you, Mr. Raby, is top of the list for me right now. Would you be able to say which would be more expensive; this turbo idea we have going built by you or 2270 type "c" version?
As a note I am not looking into a turbo because I want a "turbocharged engine," you know what I mean? I was attracted to turbos on a T1 for there "instant horsepower" so to speak, but was turned off by the reliability issue. Then I thought TIV reliability+turbo= a better idea.:cool: So where are we at now with all things considered? Once again, I am not too savvy with all of this stuff, so bear with me.;)

TitoRay
March 5th 2003, 02:56
Could one of the mods maybe move this to the RAT forum?

Massive Type IV
March 5th 2003, 03:29
Send me an email, so we can start dialogue.....