PDA

View Full Version : Oil preferences??

Type2
February 27th 2003, 21:44
What wt oil are folks using in their T4's?

Yilon
February 27th 2003, 23:50
The first thing you need to tell people here is where you are and the kind of temperatures for the area.

Type2
February 28th 2003, 00:23
I live in North Carolina.

The motor is a stock T4 converted to upright in a 66 Split Window Bus

Temps in the Winter can range from 20 to 40 with days which are hotter.

Summer temps range from 80 to 100

Will mostly be driven around town and to work (25 miles one way mosty county driving).

Dave

Oliver Knuf
February 28th 2003, 04:53
Stock engine, simple oil, my advice. I would take cheap 5W-40 synth oil or a half-synth oil on the same basis. Even a high quality mineral oil would work and last long in such an engine!

yetibone
March 1st 2003, 21:23
I also live in NC. I kinda grew towards organic 15w40 in the type I's I've built because of it's detergent qualities, and since its an oil suitable for Diesel, or turbocharged engines, it can handle heat and stress very well. Plus, it's cheap!

I use Shell Rotella T in my '66 sedan.

For engines other than stock, I use synthetic oil. It maintains proper viscosity at higher temperatures, for longer periods of time, and tends to keep crankcase condensation to a minimum
which is helpful in our balmy southern climate. It also has great detergent capabilities. Beter than 15w40, with an API rating of SJ or higher.

I plan to use Mobil1 10w30 in Hummbug.

Asking a mechanic what kind of oil he uses, is like asking a redneck what kind of beer he drinks (Sam Adams). There are many different reasons to try many different brands of oil, But now, most big oil manufacturers offer a synthetic, or synthetic blend that I belive is better suited for air cooled engines.

Yetibone

factman
May 24th 2003, 04:30
well i dont have tons of money to throw away but i use only redline 15w-50 and yes the oil pressure is a bit high in the morning but i have never had it idle at less than 15psi even after racing it hard at the drag strip. i am going to try a thnner oil as i hate to drive it easy until the oil pressure comes down. i have run this motor on the highway at between 4000-5000 rpms and still no problem. and never seen a drop of condensation in the filler or the breather lines. and for the oil filter thread, if the pressure is high the only thing that could say is that the filter is non restrictive because the sending unit is after the filter so if the oil pressure is kinda low then look at using a different filter to correct the problem.