PDA

View Full Version : gas tank

Lurv
February 28th 2003, 06:31
can someone tell me the messure of the gas tank in a 1975 1303s?

Wally
February 28th 2003, 13:05
Hi Lurv,
I always believed the gastank of my '75 03 to be 42 liters, if what you mean by measure is content.
Walter

Lurv
February 28th 2003, 13:20
no, I mean depthxhieghtxwith...

Wally
February 28th 2003, 14:24
Ok, I'll take 2 of the 3 measurements tomorrow for you. Height is not possible for me, since its in the car.
Just curious: Why you want to know?
Walter

Lurv
February 28th 2003, 14:43
getting rid of the rusty original tank and getting a plastic fuel cell to get the weight down alittle.

Wally
March 2nd 2003, 16:05
Hi Lurv,
Sorry for the late respons, my new providers server was down...
My tank is 50,5 cm x 83 cm.
Walter

Lurv
March 2nd 2003, 16:24
thats with x depth?

thanks!

this is what i what to replace it with!

http://www.soderbergs.info/bilder/FC2.jpg
http://www.soderbergs.info/bilder/FC3.jpg

Wally
March 2nd 2003, 16:47
No, other way around.
The tank is more wide than deep. The measurements are from the rim edges, so the hole is probably about half an inch smaller.

Very, very nice tank, but I can almost certainly tell you from here that I think it will not fit a otherwise standard 03 bug tank space.
The original tank has alot of its volume down low, not on top of the edge, the tank rests on. This is because the fresh air box under the windscreen is already there...
I guess you do not have the car at your disposal yet to see for yourself. Is the tank already yours or is it an offer your considering?

I hope I haven't alarmed you too much, but its difficult to tell sizes from your picture. You should really try it on 'a' 1303 (years don't matter for tanks, I believe)

Walter

Lurv
March 2nd 2003, 17:05
well I'll make it fit!

if it doesnt fit the fits time i'll bring out the welder and cutter and get it fit fit. as mutch I can cut away the lighter the car gets!

the fuel cell is on ebay but I was planing on getting a simular from summit...

Superman
March 2nd 2003, 18:11
Ask Plumbugracer over on the SBO! Forums, he had a fuel cell in his 1302.

lightning bug
March 2nd 2003, 22:49
I was going to use a cell for my EFI set-up. I modified my stock tank to work. Anyway...... The closest cell I could find to fit in the stock compartment was 20"X17"x9". It was 12 Gallons. It would have fit with minor mods.

ricola
March 3rd 2003, 05:30
Lightening Bug,
How did you modify your existign tank for the EFI? Internal pump?

I am about to do this and would like to see how other people do it. I will cut it in half around the seam and probably increase the capacity by welding in a strip at the same time...

Rich

lightning bug
March 3rd 2003, 21:47
I'm using an external EFI pump and external surge tank. Low pressure pump will feed the surge tank; surge tank to EFI pump; to fuel rail(s); to regulator; back to surge tank; to a return in the steel filler neck. I say "modified" but its really nothing major. We changed the feed fitting on the tank to a 3/8" (AN-6) and will be adding a fitting to my filler neck for a return. My friend however is researching an internal surge tank in the stock tank. External EFI pump though.

chigger
March 4th 2003, 10:46
Both Summit racing and Larrysoffroad have some nice inexpensive plastic fuel cells. Various sizes. I was going to use a pair of 8 gallon tanks on both sides of the tunnel behind the front seats. I am not sure of the safety or legality for racing as the rules require a bulkhead between you and the fuel tank. A pair of custom bladders fitted to custom boxes with custom fills in both the right and left upper quarter panel would look major cool and should be legal. The reason for the location is to prevent the use of the fuel from changing the handling of the car and to keep the weight down low. Having driven on ice alot, it is amazing how much difference a full and empty tank makes.