PDA

View Full Version : Would a german looker be a german looker if it had a type 1??

VRSICK
August 17th 2002, 02:42
some food for thought.....

lets say you do the engine last, you have coilovers, rims, looks, sound, but a type 1 engine, and a good tranny.

would it still be a german looker??

simply lookin for the power and dollar aspect of things....

samcat
August 17th 2002, 05:01
We have a name for a german looker that is all show and no go over here(England). Its called a Euro Looker.

Cya,
Sam C

vujade
August 17th 2002, 10:12
samcat,
who says the type 1 motor has to be slow? Here in the states type 1 motors are built to be 12 second street cars, just take a loot at the rides on callook.com

The german look is a modern look (an overall attitude). It should be backed up by performancem but why only a type 4? What about different conversions like wasserboxer or GTI motors?

VRSICK
August 17th 2002, 10:30
yea, or even rotaries??

I've seen some PRETTY QUICK rotary bugs in the day, and man those things would MOVE!!!!
literally on the border of breaking 9 seconds all day long, but this is street/race trim, no interior, som wacky tranny, lotsa boost!!!

but anyways,

the reason that I initially asked this question is because I'm lookin for around 190-210 HP in my bug, and I wanna get there with outh goin crazy on the cash flow...'

I already have dual carbs, and engine tin for this motor, which is less stuff that I'd have to buy later....

plus you can pick one up, in long block form for a relatively cheap deal over the type 4...

yes yes, i know how much BETTER the t4 is, but this isn't a daily driver, its a show car that will be brought outmaybe 1 month a year, so milage is no prob.......

i'm thinkin aggressive 2332cc, or maybe one step lower, I'm lookin to get it through aircooled.net, do you guys recomend these blokes????

vujade
August 17th 2002, 11:50
Ive been doing some research on the CalLook website and they say that a 2276 is the best type 1 setup for the street for the most power, with simmiliar reliability & cost to a 2 liter type 1. It works out to a 82 stroke by 94 pistons. This motor will produce 160-170 HP naturally aspirated.

VRSick, why do you want to have so much horsepower if you are predominately building a show car?
If I were you, I would spend it on things that can be seen!
Why not just build a 1600 with Porsche shroud to get the look :)
And spend the rest of the money on porsche brakes (for the wow factor)

In my case, I am building a high performance VW for the street/ strip. I drive a Nissan 300ZX on a daily basis right now & need to replace it with something that has similiar horsepower to weight ratio (or even better!) :goodness:

samcat
August 17th 2002, 12:54
I take your point about speed.

I think its more a technology thing. Most of what I would call german look cars are running higher tech brakes/suspension etc. T4 is a choice we make based on looks (cant beat the look of a porsche fan :D) and performance WITH reliability. I have been told that a well built T4 should last a lot longer than a well built T1 lump.

I dont want to pidgeon hole or anything like that, because someone always has a car that is german look (or whatever) but not done the normal way that makes you redefine the way you think of the look. Thats what keeps me amused sometimes, seeing the way a look evolves and changes over time.

Hmmm... Perhaps we should all try and put together a history of the german look (as much as we can anyway). Would be an interesting article for the site, with nice pictures of GL through the ages.

Anyone up for it? Group effort in one thread with a clear title. I dont have much in the way of material or anything, but some of you out there must have....

Sorry for the long post...

Take it ez,
Sam C

Alex
August 17th 2002, 14:17
Iwas thinking about that too. I think we would need someone that was in the Bug scene for quite a while. Oliver....how long are you playing with VW bugs?

I started in 89 and remember all the spoiler monsters and some nice cars with Porsche Fuchs and sometime.....very rare though Porsche 944 brakes.

Alex

lightning bug
August 17th 2002, 16:09
Hey! What's this about T1's being slow?:eek: I should have my GL 1303 finished this spring. 2165 turbo T1 with EFI. This will be a streetable and street legal sedan. At 12 PSI, I'm figuring 250 HP. For the track 20+ PSI. I'd say 300+ easy. You can make anything fast. I'll still consider my car GL. The engine was made in Germany, no? I'd still consider your car GL.:D Also, FWIW, the rotary (WANKEL) was a German engineered engine.

hot66
August 18th 2002, 04:31
I would say my car is being built along the lines of 'the german look' but I've gone the type1 route. I don't think it makes any difference if its type 4 or type1, german look is more than just an engine :D

Oliver Knuf
August 19th 2002, 11:37
We have so-called "Cal-Lookers" (lol, more dechromed showcars) with Alfa Romeo boxer engines, we have conversions with the Waterboxer from the Subaru Impreza Turbo as "German Look", I think, most Germans don't use a special style-sheet, they just build their car and coincidentally it looks like a Cal- or Euro-Looker...

Build a Type 1 German Looker, there are enough here, but then use more German tech, like light valvetrain parts with a German cam and a Porsche fan system, maybe a German exhaust system like the BAS or Custom & Speed Parts system (err, bigger than the CSP system, or a similar system with a merged header), central air filter, carbon parts, all is available, all is possible!

@Alex... As I'm just 29, I'm not that long in the VW business. Officially I started in 1990 with my first training, later in 1995 I started a new heavier training to get self-employed in Germany, but :rolleyes: I'm still with my father! Did I say 1990???? I devided my first VW engine into all bits and pieces around 1985 :p !!! I'm reading the HotVW's since I had English in the school, around 1984.... (okok, I looked at the pictures :D ) I've seen the Glassfiber "German-Lookers of the fist days in our shop from the very beginning. I melted together with the VW technique and style in 1989 and my first car should be a Cal-Looker, but it was only a late 80's style green-coloured monster with a 1,5l 44BHP engine, I've looked too much into the HotVW's at that time! Enough??

CLKWRK
August 22nd 2002, 14:02
Type 1 slow? yeah right...........Not.
However, I beleive that they are less reliable than type IV due to the fact that they have less cooling fin area and no oil filter. You also are limited to a max 94mm bore and 84mm stroke on a soft magnesium case........right?:D

lightning bug
August 22nd 2002, 18:56
You can always add a filter and cooling doesn't have to be a problem if you do it right. You can also buy new all aluminum cases. Also....... you don't need displacement when you have forced induction! ;) :D

Vyper
August 31st 2002, 18:45
Originally posted by samcat

We have a name for a german looker that is all show and no go over here(England). Its called a Euro Looker.

Cya,
Sam C

:silly:

Sam,

You got your heater channel sorted out yet, did they find anything else to cut out while they were down there?

Vyper

NYBugman1972
August 31st 2002, 21:37
There's nothing wrong with a German Look car with any power plant in my eyes. Hell, I'm running a 1600 with header and dual weber 40's, everything else stock. The BIG thing that makes a GL a GL is the wheels. Second is handling and brakes (and I have disks and drums). But, I do think the German Look is more about an attitude. It's about cruising and updating the looks of the car. Modernization! At least that's how I look at it.

In short, run your small T1 and dont worry about a thing. The GL community is nowhere near as strict as the Cal-Lookers.

Vyper
September 2nd 2002, 09:27
Originally posted by NYBugman1972

There's nothing wrong with a German Look car with any power plant in my eyes. Hell, I'm running a 1600 with header and dual weber 40's, everything else stock. The BIG thing that makes a GL a GL is the wheels. Second is handling and brakes (and I have disks and drums). But, I do think the German Look is more about an attitude. It's about cruising and updating the looks of the car. Modernization! At least that's how I look at it.

In short, run your small T1 and dont worry about a thing. The GL community is nowhere near as strict as the Cal-Lookers.

Too True my friend, me and my 1585 UK 'eurolooker' will be outside!! grrrrr

He who has the biggest toys still fears the reaper!!! :silly:

Vyper

bren
September 3rd 2002, 09:53
my bug.. whatever style you want to call it.. will always run a type1 based motor.. ive got too much cash/time/blood/sweat invested in type1 tuning gear to warrant a swap to type4. currently i have a 1600 motor with twin carbs and a header.. doesnt sound much, but its taken me 6 years to get the motor where it is now. the swap to type4 would take me a decade!! LOL! future plans include 1.4:1 rockers and headwork in the short term and a stroker crank (forged c/w type1 or WBX) and 90.5's in the long term... the carbs and exhaust can cope with any upgrades i make.. i purposely fitted parts that are either slightly too big now, or at least correct now but upgradeable..

Andy
September 7th 2002, 14:26
I have sold my 1776 after a couple of RWYB gos at BugJam Santa Pod. That sounds really sad, but I think I have been bitten by the "go faster" bug. The 1776 was a well built unit, that went really well, and did not give me any problems.

The new engine is a type 1, and at the present time is all parts. The exact spec is going to be good, with "large" and "torque" in the description.

The 1303 is a heavy car compared to a standard beetle, and I decided on a type 1 engine, as it was within my budget for the type of power that I want to get. I agree that the the Type 4 is a better more modern engine, but the type 1 can be made reliable with extra cooling and better filtration. I will not be using the bug as a daily driver, so reliability will not be so much of a problem. I tend to change the oil every 1.5 K anyway, and treat the engine with great respect, eg waiting until engine is warm before taking on a run etc..

I removed my speakers from the rear shelf and saved about 4.5 stone in weight, I will also be adding plastic rear and rear side windows to save a bit more, and get a better power to weight ratio.

I would like to have built a type 4, but I cannot justify the extra cost, and also the more limited selection of parts available. I do not think it matters what engine is in your GL, only that I do not like water cooled engines put into beetles, I feel this is cheating, as we all know HP is easy add on in modern cars. The engine should be a VW air cooled engines, and perhaps if really, really pushed the water cooled boxer engine (still think its cheating IMHO).