PDA

View Full Version : freezing

fweem1970
July 2nd 2003, 02:35
has any one here heard of cryofreezing engin parts to make them stronger? if so how well does it work? and what is the physics behind the idea?

zen
July 2nd 2003, 07:18
i don't remember the details. VWTrends had some info on it during jake's Forthcomings build. check through 2002 mags or go to jake's site (http://www.aircooledtechnology.com) or his forum on this site.

kdanie
July 2nd 2003, 11:26
Cryo treatment has proven to work very well. Check out the companies that perform the service and read their web sites. Parts are placed in a computerized machine that regulates how fast the temp drops, how long it holds and how fast it rises back to room temp. This time regulation is critical to correct treatment. I hear there are a couple of places that just put your parts in an ice chest, flood it with liquid nitrogen and come back later.... not good- use only a reputable company. Different alloys require different timing, if the vendor does not know this, find a new vendor.

I have used OneCryo in WA state. I did my cam/lifters/cylinders.

It works best on ferous metals but other metals also benifit from the treatment. I recall Jake saying that aluminum heads run cooler after treatment.
ken

fweem1970
July 2nd 2003, 12:46
does any one have ant links to sites that offer this service i looked on jakes site and saw nothing

zen
July 2nd 2003, 14:55
Originally posted by fweem1970
does any one have ant links to sites that offer this service i looked on jakes site and saw nothing

that is because you would need to go through jake for his services. i believe he is using someone in GA though. i do not know of any names off the top of my head. i will see if i can dig something up. if you do find something on your own, please post here so i can make sure those links make it onto the VKG links page.

kdanie
July 2nd 2003, 20:51
Just go to www.google.com and type in "cryogenic treatment of auto parts". You will get several links to compainies that offer the service.
ken

havik180
July 3rd 2003, 17:33
another good site to check is www.howstuffworks.com they have some good information

yetibone
July 3rd 2003, 19:48
I know of a company called Diversified Cryogenics that makes a product called "Frozen Rotors" that's popular in SCCA ProRally, and ClubRally, where brakes catch hell all the time. They may be able to treat engine parts as well.

Sorry, I don't have any contact info right now. I'll talk to my rally buddy and see how to get in touch.

Yetibone

yetibone
July 3rd 2003, 19:51
Diversified Cryogenics:
1-888-323-8456

They also have a website:
www.diversifiedcryogenics.com

They can treat most any steel, aluminum, or iron alloys.

Yetibone

Massive Type IV
July 8th 2003, 01:40
I use www.percryo.com for my services. They have 31 different profiles for my engines..

About 75% of what I build gets it!