PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 110 to 120 HP ...

Sandeep
August 23rd 2002, 14:45
Hi,

I'm trying to decide what type of engine would be best suited for my GL. Here are my goals:

-Looking for about 110 to 120 HP

-Max rpm of 6000

-This is a daily driven engine with some track lapping days (every 2 weeks)

-Tranny is going to be a beefed up 4 speed.....can't justify the 901 conversion yet...I'm not building it to be competetive on the track, but want a daily driver for the freeway primarily with some track days thrown in. I don't want a dragster, just a car that can cruise at 80 mph and handle on the track.

-I travel about 200 miles weekly, 8500 miles yearly including about 500 track miles aswell.

After some research, I have found that I can get a 1.7L type4 for between $500 and $850 in the Toronto area.. This is basically a longblock engine with no tin, cooling, oil cooler, fan and such. What would it cost me to get this setup into my beetle...assuming DTM shroud, 44 Weber IDF's, suitable exhaust ?

For the price of a stock 1.7L type 4 conversion, what could I do to my currently installed and running 1600cc DP ?

Thanks for any suggestions ! :D

Sandeep

vujade
August 23rd 2002, 16:27
a number of years ago a guy from germany in VWTrends had a 1.7 type 4 modded to 120-130 hp (so it feasible without enlarging stroke or bore out, mostly head work I imagine & proper ignition).

You could feasibly biuld a stock 1.7 converted to upright for about $1500.00 total (US). Considering the $500 engine purchase price plus $450.00 for the DTM conversion & another couple hundred for used webbers & couple hundred for exhaust system also.

If at all possible I would get as much head work as possible, bump up the compression some, and get a good ignition system also.

Oliver Knuf
August 24th 2002, 06:09
Sandeep, you've read about the 94mm piston conversions for the 2l engines with the 94mm x 82mm Mahle pistons. If you use the 94mm x 69mm pistons, with rebushed original connecting rods, your stock 66mm crank, and a mild web cam, you can get 1832cc's and your 120HP, totally reliable, if you use a good exhaust and some rebild and p&p heads with approx. 40mm/34mm valves. Use your 1,7l heads, bore them to 94mm 2l specs, get new valves from the 1,8l, 4 new valve seats for the exhaust side and machining the intake seat bigger for the machined-down-to-40mm inktake valve. A set of type 1 Scat springs on chromo retainers, a Web #163 with Web lifters and the original 1,7l valve train is good for that combo. A c/r of around 8,0-9,0:1, depending on what you can and want to run, with 40mm IDF's on 28mm venturies and your choice of fan system would run. Hey, Sandeep, even the Type 1 conversion system, what I can get here for 190$ is enough for such an engine. Use it with a 36HP-style fan shroud w/o heater ducts and w/o doghouse, it's a good unit. Take a look that you get the 36HP shrouds with the correct amount of intenal vanes!

With a 316° (US 296°) Schleicher and a c/r of 9,5 I reach 132HP with this combination! A winning and cheap combo!

Sandeep
August 24th 2002, 12:41
Thanks for the replies !

My budget is $2000 CAD......What I want to do is get the running engine. I don't want to take it apart or anything for now. All I want to do is get the engine and convert it to upright cooling, and then install it in my car and get everything working. I'm not looking for fancy or expensive parts right now. I just need to do the minimal amount of work to get this engine in my car.

I will wait till winter 2003 to take it apart and add bigger pistons and crank and heads.

SO, is this a simple bolt on affair ? I am totally new to the type 4 and Alex has been a great help as well !

So let me get this straight....I should look for the biggest capacity stock type 4 I can find...right now its a 1.7L from a bus....I will call around some more...Then I should get an upright cooling kit (DTM shroud I think ? I want it to be able to cool a bigger engine in the future)...Do I need carbs or anything ? What should I be looking for in an old type 4 engine ? (I hope Alex has the time to come with me to look at engines !). What exhaust system do I need ? What engine ID's should I be looking for ?

Can I use some items from my type 1 ? 009 Dist, Fan, alt stand ?

I have heard that I need a rear engine brace ? What is this all about ? What exactly are the strengthening mods needed to fit this in an IRS pan ?

I need to be totally clear with what I need to do to get this conversion done because this is my daily driver and I can only afford to take it out of service for one week.

As you can see, I like to get every detail figured out before I dive into something as major as this !!

Thanks again !

Sandeep

vujade
September 9th 2002, 22:32
Sandeep,

check out this website for some excellent type 4 conversion information Type 4 secrets (http://www.tunacan.net/t4/)