PDA

View Full Version : T4 or Upgrade 1600DP for now?

Jeannot
August 26th 2002, 10:13
Am I ready for a Type IV? My GL project is underway on three fronts: the chassis/suspension, the motor and the body. Having read through many of the threads here I am now beginning to wonder whether or not I should just go a head with the T4 now as opposed to just uprating the current 1600DP. Where do I begin to look for information (including $s) for a T4? Is a T4 easy to mount to the original gearbox? (Yes, I am contemplating putting in a Porsche 5-speed now that the body is off. I have yet to figure out the costs for this and whether or not I can afford it now.) If the budget is too tight for both a gearbox and a T4 I may just upgrade the 1600 now. I can always put that one in my ‘67 once I have a T4 up and running.

Not knowing much (anything) about motors this is what I have come up with as for as a safe (inexpensive?) upgrading of the 1600DP. I am simply thinking off a Bosch 009 distributor with a Pertronix kit to convert it to pointless electronic ignition. A Bosch high energy Blue Coil with silicone plug leads (on Bosch W6AC or W7AC plugs. (I have heard mixed reviews on the Pertronix kit.) I am mulling over the idea of uprating to 90.5 piston/cyl, adding high ratio rocker arms 1.25:1 and polishing the heads. I am uncertain as to whether or not I should go with a progressive 2 barrel carb or a pair of small single-choke carburetors such as the 40mm Solex-Kadron, or Weber 34ICTs. Because I require interior heat (Canada’s “Wetcoast”) I will install “performance” heater boxes and attach an extractor system with a turbo muffler. I am also thinking that now would be a good time to replace the oil cooler. Does this sound like a good way to go for a modest increase in performance? Would anyone be able to hazard a guess as to the cost comparison between this upgrade and purchasing a T4? Thanks ...

Jeannot

Oliver Knuf
August 29th 2002, 04:13
I would do it in the same way, because my budget is always too small to invest in all, what I want. The idea of upgrading the 1,6l is ok, but I would use 40mm IDF's, as you can use these carbs on a 2l - 2,3l Type 4 with HP up to 150, too! So you don't have to spent your money twice on carbs. Even the combination with a wild Type 1 cam and 44mm IDF's would work, but then you have to change the venturies and the jets for much smaller units in the carbs.

A good rebuild of your 1,6l to 1,8l with good heads and all the goodies you are planning to use is maybe half of the budget you need for a 1,8-2,0l Type 4, that is cheap-build. I would do the Type 1 at fist, then you have got an engine, that you can put in to drive, if you even want to upgrade the Type 4 for more. Interesting is the change from the gearbox, as I personally don'T know, how the flywheel of the Type 1 matches to the starter of the Porsche. Anybody an idea?

kdanie
August 30th 2002, 10:29
Check the threads on transmissions, for some info on fitting a Porsche 5 speed/type 1 engine.
ken

NYBugman1972
August 31st 2002, 21:52
My car has a stock 1600 with dual 40mm webers and a header into a hide-away muffler (soon to be 2.5" phatboy). Oh, and I have a blue-coil and a 009 with comp-u-fire (real nice). Believe it or not, it's pretty quick. I'm no tire-cooker by any means, but it keeps me happy. It'll spin my 205-60-15's pretty well and rev's to 5500 with no problem (in neutral).

I say update the 1600, worry about any body and cosmetic problems now and enjoy the car. Then, work on a T4 in the meantime, taking the time to learn about engines when you update the 1600 and build a T4.

Plus, when I go to T4, I can use the Phatboy and the Webers, as long as I stay small-ish.

On the 1600, I say do weber 40's (or kads with A.J. Sims update kit), header and phatboy muffler, and 1/4" rockers, and a blue coil, 009 and comp-u-fire. If you have more money, then port & polish the heads and raise the compression.

At least that's what I would do.

zen
September 4th 2002, 14:04
i have been in the same situation for the last few weeks. i am ready to send the car to paint and concentrate on the engine. it has not run for about 7 years, but it was a pretty strong 1835cc when it did run. i know i can get it back up and running and do some minor upgrades (like weber 40IDFs, maybe 911 cooling for looks only not sure if it is a good move considering all issues though) a lot cheaper than i can go TIV. BUT a TIV is still very tempting. i think budget will take me the way of everyone's suggestions here.

one additional thought is i may step up the trans for taller 3rd and 4th gears for cruising purposes (i think i already have the horses for it) in prep for TIV later. have some homework to do there though. can get into that for $750 + install.

check out www.aircooledtechnology.com jake knows his stuff and has some pretty good info (albeit slightly biased, but who isn't) for what you are looking for. he does many TIV's, TI's and 2 trans.

sorry for the length of the post.

Oliver Knuf
September 10th 2002, 10:29
Starting a thread by myself, doing a very similar engine like the 1914cc in the VW Trends, that was totally low-budget build, but I'll do that with a 2l Type 2 engine, square ports and original bone-stock, after 79- engine! Guys, is that a thing?