PDA

View Full Version : German vs US built type 4 engine differences?

kdanie
September 13th 2002, 09:00
Oliver, I asked in a previous thread but I don't think you saw it. We were discussing the differences in how type 4s were configured in Germany and in the U.S. and how that might affect the aparent lack of HP we seem to be getting over here.
I would like to know what compression ratio is commonly used in a German high performance type 4 might be and what quality of gas (octaine rating) you have available.
thanks,
ken

Massive Type IV
September 13th 2002, 09:35
No lack of power here....

We make 160BHP all the time with an engine ,less than 2.3 liters, street tuned, pump gas, and cooled with a stock system or a DTM...

There are differences in the way we do things here, and they do things there, both work well.

zen
September 13th 2002, 16:16
jake,

glad you made it over here. your additional insight and expertise will be great. btw, this is the GA zen, not hendricks. i don't see him going GL on his bus. lol.

vujade
September 13th 2002, 17:15
glad to see you here Jake...:)

Oliver Knuf
September 14th 2002, 04:33
As a main difference, we use maybe better done heads, as you've seen the flow tests about the Remmele heads against the FAT heads. The Remmele units are standard, nothing realy spectacular, so it could be the same vice versa to the Type 1 heads in Germany compared to the US heads, there are decades of development and thousands of engines more built.
We use even in the smallest performance engines c/r over 8,5:1 as we have 92/95/99 octane at every Gas station!
Exhaust systems are developed here for years in all kinds of aspirations, even those original-look-a-likes with 2 tips are way better than a few US products I've seen.
Carb manifolds, radiuses, and diameters are definitely better, than that what you get from the US.
Special combination of parts is more common here, as there are more tested combinations around here.
The cams here are tested for decades! Schleicher and Schrick, as the both most famous, produce/produced street cams, that are running softer with more standard parts and springs than most US cams, I know.

Why does a 2l, correctly done here, produce around 150-155HP for the street? The reasons are above!

kdanie
September 16th 2002, 15:21
Oliver, Thanks for the insite. It is pretty much what I thought, hopefully we will be there soon. I am getting anxious to run my engine, I guess I'll have to take some time off from work to finish my exhaust header and get my engine installed.
ken